Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Reminiscing

So now that I've been home for a day, I can sit back and write more about an amazing weekend.

Getting to Toledo (like I said the other day, who would've thought there's such a thing as a romantic getaway weekend in Toledo?) for me was no problem. Weather was nice, drive was good. 250 miles in 4 and a half hours, easy. At least the drive was easy.

After I got there, I had a scare. My cell phone fell and hit the floor of the bathroom, and it died. For all the drops it'd taken and not died, it had to die then and there. (Murphy was somewhere laughing his fool head off.) Thankfully, the very helpful clerk at the hotel found me an AT&T store, drove over there, and got my sleep RAZR replaced with a...phone. Leave it at that.

For Julie, it wasn't quite so much fun. She went through some really bad thunderstorms (saw the video and it was nasty), but she made it in one piece, thank goodness. Would've been an entirely different weekend if she hadn't.

She got in late, so we just grabbed a bite to eat at the Applebees near the hotel. Went back to the room to relax.

Saturday morning, we had breakfast at the hotel before we went to the Zoo. Now, this is where I have to give serious props to the Sleep Inn and Suites in Toledo. For a "free" continental breakfast, they put out quite a spread. They've got a waffle maker! No matter where you go in the hotel in the morning, all you smell are waffles. It was great! Got Julie her Orange Juice (the second trip...had mine on the first one) and bagel and we got ready to go to the Zoo.

Julie was excited to go to the zoo and I must admit, it's the first time I'd been to a zoo since I was 10, I swear. Despite the fact that Pittsburgh has a world-class zoo, I never go there.

The zoo was easy to find (she found it, I was along for the ride looking at everything), and we got there shortly before it opened. We walked through a little park, holding hands, looking at the mighty Maumee River while we waited. Talked to a few people while they fed the ducks. Nice and quiet.

When the zoo opened a few minute later, we were some of the first people in the place. Checked out their aquarium first, sharing kisses on occasion while we looked at the fishies.

The butterfly exhibit was next, and while it was an extra charge, it was worth it. Julie was hoping a butterfly would land on her and I kept taking her picture while we walked through there, careful not to step.

I should note that I took some 400+ pictures and videos this weekend. Might even share one or two of them. ;)

The rest of the zoo was cool. Polar Bears (her favourite), Cheetahs, Elephants and Rhinos. They had a lot of stuff, and we spent hours there. It was fun, and we just walked and looked and held hands and just loved being there and with each other.

After leaving, we cruised around Toledo for a bit (she was amazed that the streets were empty...didn't shock me too much, since most small towns are like that, empty on the weekends, as the folks just go into town for the workweek), and chilled at the hotel until dinner. Julie said a good steak dinner would be good, so I checked with the same incredibly helpful clerk and she recommended Cousinos, a nearby place.

Nice little restaurant, not formal (which works for both of us), and the food? INCREDIBLE!

We both had Filet Mignon, but they served them on metal plates...incredibly hot metal plates.

Julie's medium steak was still raw, so she sent it back. When the waitress returned it, they must've cooked the steak right there on the plate! It was done...and it was so hot, when I dropped an ice cube on the plate, it evaporated in a second, literally.

Yes, there's a video of it, and yes, it will be posted to Youtube later.

After dinner, we were full. After a quick trip back to the hotel, we decided to go to the lake. I didn't bring my laptop...I'll wait while you pick your collective jaws up off the floor...but Julie did, so we google'd directions and took off.

Got to the lake in time to watch a beautiful sunset, arm in arm, and kiss as the sun went down.

Cruised around Toledo and the outskirts in search of ice cream, checking out Pickle street's detour (private joke) and stopping at Deb's Soft Serve for some good ice cream before calling it a night.

That's Friday and Saturday, and that's enough for now. I'll save Sunday for another day. ;)

3 comments:

loveno88 said...

I feel the need to comment, but I dont know what to say. I love you.

Eric S. said...

You don't have to say anything, love.
I love you too.

Rene said...

Sounds like a lovely day :-)