Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Reminiscing, Part Two

Sunday morning, we slept in. I won't go into details (it's nothing sexual, you pervs, get yer minds outta the gutter), but that morning was beautiful. Julie knows what I'm talking about, and that's all I have to say.

We decided early on to check out, go to the museum, and then head our separate ways. What she didn't know was that I intended to surprise her with flowers...I bought her a potted plant with daisies.

We asked the clerk at the hotel to watch the daisies and we'd get them later, since we left my car at the hotel anyway. The clerk said sure, but they might be gone when we get back 'cause she loved daisies too. ;)

Breakfast was at Bob Evans. Good food, sitting across from each other, enjoying each others company, and just being happy.

We headed back downtown to the Toledo Museum of Art. One of the things that we both wanted to see was their glass museum, since we both love cut glass.

Once again, Julie was amazed at how empty town was. Still didn't surprise me. ;)

Now, Julie will say that I give bad directions because I told her to turn left at the last second, but I was aware that there were no cars nearby, so it was perfectly fine. Don't believe her. It was fine. ;)

The museum was really cool. She wanted me to take pictures for her daughter, but I couldn't shoot some of the modern pieces. Copyright restrictions, which I understand totally. After working for years in a library enforcing copyright law, I can respect it.

Thankfully, it was only the modern pieces that I couldn't shoot. The older ones, PD pieces, were fine as long as I didn't use the flash. Took a bunch of pictures as we walked through the galleries, looking at masterpieces (no Napoleon though) and having a good time.

Of course,the first gallery we stopped in was the gift shop. ;) Julie saw a heart-shaped glass paperweight that she fell in love with, so I had to get that for her, while I got myself and her pins from the museum. I asked them to hold the package for her until later, and they not only did, they wrapped it in the cutest bow. It was nice.

We walked across the street to the glass museum and right into a glass blowing demonstration. Watching someone blow glass is so bloody cool...Julie was enthralled. We talked to the woman who was giving the demo afterwards, and Julie asked how they made cracked glass, and she said that was in the next presentation! Well, you knew we had to stay for the next show...

They pieces they make during the demonstrations, they put up for sale in their cafe, and I admit, one of them caught my eye. I think Julie would love to have had it for herself (she said she had a place already set aside for it), I brought it home with me...



The second show, they made a lovely red vase, and the presenter almost forgot to show how they made it cracked! She did, and to this lovely light red vase added a gold drizzle...especially for Julie. She's going to contact the museum to get it for herself, since they made it especially for her, and I can't wait to see her get it. The look in her eyes when they were making it...it's special.

We wandered around the museum a bit more before calling it a day and headed back. Stopped at a Big Boy (I didn't know they were still around!) for lunch, while I gave her a copy of all the photos I'd taken over the weekend. We sat there, talked a little more, looked into each others eyes on occasion, and just said how wonderful this weekend was.

Back at the hotel, we hugged, kissed, got her daisies, put my vase in my car, hugged and kissed a little more, and then took off on our separate ways.

We were texting and calling each other on occasion when the nursing home called me. Seems The Kid was having trouble eating and breathing during dinner, and because there's a DNR on file with her, they had to see what I wanted to do. I said to call the doctor, get her to the ER at least, and let them take a look at her.

Toledo to Greensburg, PA in three and a half hours. The speed limit might've been broken once or twice.

Got to the hospital and she was in the ER, with a machine that was literally forcing air into her lungs. They said it might force the "bad air" out of her, but it looked like something Darth Vader would wear, I swear.

Stayed with her until about midnight. Got home, talked to my cousin, then crashed.

It might've ended on a sad note, but this weekend was amazing. Julie and I both agree, it was wonderful. I miss her already...but I know we'll have more weekend like this in the years to come.

When I know more about The Kid, I'll pass it along.

4 comments:

loveno88 said...

We are going to have more weekends in the months to come! Hell, Im not waiting years for this to happen again!

BTW...He gave bad directions!

Love you!

Eric S. said...

...never did give directions well...

Foodie said...

I can't begin to tell you how happy this post makes me. As you know, I've been offline and completely lost with the blog posts, but I'm super thrilled to read this very nice entry.

Just... enjoy her ;)

Rene said...

That is a beautiful vase. I also like glass art, more specifically contemporary design :-)