Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Walkabout

It's just about 30 degrees outside. For our metric-speaking friends, that means it's below freezing. There's a light snow falling. The streets are clear, as are most of the sidewalks. It's not sticking...yet...but odds are, by quitting time, it'll start to cling and make the drive home a nightmare.

And I just got back in the office from a nice, long walk.

Odds are, at least one of you (I'd wager my High Priestess, most likely) is shaking your head and wondering how to contact the local mental institution. No worries about that...I know where it is, and yes, it's in walking distance from here.

I didn't need to go out for a walk. There was nothing I needed. Granted, I did have some bills I had to drop in the mail, but we have a mail pickup here in the building. I already had my lunch: One of those frozen entrees, some pudding, and a nice drink of water, so I didn't need to go out for food. I'm not the most health-conscience creature on this planet (please, restrain yourselves, I know that must come as a shock), so it wasn't for the exercise.

Why then did I go for a walk?

Because.

There's something beautiful and magical about walking when it's snowing outside. I feel a certain inner peace, a tranquility that is so rare. I loaded up my little MP3 player (an older model, discontinued, but still one of the best I've ever used) with some tunes, bundled up and went out the door.

Walked about a mile, I figure. I really should consider investing in one of those little pedometers, in only because they're cool gadgets, and I am a gadget geek. It really wasn't that cold out: I didn't need gloves, my face wasn't cold or flustered, and there was no wind to speak of. Great walking conditions, actually.

I've found a certain...peace...over the years from walking. Just me and the pavement under my feet can be very relaxing, giving me a chance to either think about problems or just not think at all. It's rare for my mind to actually stop thinking, and yes, I'm aware there's medication for that, but I have a serious problem with drugs. I've seen the meds they've given My Kid over the years...I think I'll pass, thank you very much.

For about a half-hour, it was just me and the likes of Johnny Cash, Joe Walsh, Queen, Norah Jones, and Alanis Morissette. Every once in awhile, there'd be a slight breeze and snow'd blow in my face, but that wasn't a problem. Brushing away snowflakes is much more favourable than wiping away tears.

It gave me the chance to think, to reflect, to come to a resolution to recent events. I think I understand now what happened, but honestly, I'll never know for sure. Still, I'll be happy with my take on it, and I can move on. After all, that's what we do in life, isn't it? Take one step at a time, one day at a time, and see where the road will lead us?

I know I'll be walking that path, enjoying the moment while wondering what lies ahead.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, inner peace, calm and joy, abound, when walking in fresh snow.

<3

Anonymous said...

Breathing is more fluid, when the soul is content.
<3

Onestar said...

And the beauty of breathing in Winter, you can see it. ;)

Shauna said...

frostbite can only be what lies ahead if you continnue to walk outside in the cold.

Still, glad you had the chance to think.

Anonymous said...

Taking a walk has always been one of the best ways for me to "center" myself. Walking in a light snow has always seemed more peacful, tranquil, compared to fighting off the black flies and mosquitos that warmer weather seems to produce here. Snowflakes don't bite!

May your path be free of obstacles...

Rene said...

Hmmm, snow :-)
We had snow in London and Rotterdam as well, but overnight, and all it did was freeze up the car LOL
But yeah, snow is lovely, no matter how crazy the priestess thinks we are.

Onestar said...

One of these days, my dear Priestess, I'll get you to walk in the cold and enjoy it...maybe.

Squooshie, you got it right in one. Snowflakes tickle, they don't bite.

Ah, frozen cars. I know them well. Not as much fun as a nice walk in the snow, but sometimes, you've gotta take the good with the bad.

Shauna said...

Remember, I live in the Rocky Mountains. Cold weather ceased to hold any charm for me when I was 10 or so. Walking on a cool summer night after the heat of the day is gone...THAT can do.

Sterl said...

Inner peace is always a good thing and I'm glad you're coming to a resolution...definitely do understand that. But I like my inner peace to happen when it's at least 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Onestar said...

Summertime, when it's too hot, I feel all dead inside.

This is when I feel most alive.

Go ahead. I know you'll call me crazy. I don't mind... ;)