Friday, January 12, 2007

Last night...talking 'bout last night...

For those who don't know, the title of this installment is a line from a song by the Traveling Wilburys. For some reason, it's stuck in my brain this morning. Too bad the CD's out of print, and I sold off my copy years ago. There was some good music on there...

---(*)---

Here's a bit of free advice, a life-lesson, as it were, to anyone who might be listening.

If you're not used to having dinner late at night, right before you go to bed, don't eat something big and heavy.

I didn't get home until late, and I didn't have dinner until about 9:30, and then went to bed about an hour and a half later.

That pasta is still not lying well. Of course, not having lunch during the day didn't help matters...


---(*)---

So, you ask, why did you eat so late? Well, I took a ride out to see The Kid last night.

She's doing a bit better these days, but there are some new issues we're dealing with.

She's jumpy. Every little sound, every door that closes, every phone than rings, she hears and she has to respond to. They moved her room earlier this week because she heard the (albeit heavy) kitchen door slam shut, and she'd jump and become nervous. Since they've got a fair amount of people in there, it opens and closes a lot.

They moved her around the corner, to another room, but now there's a phone right outside her door. Whenever it rings, she's always saying "will someone answer that phone!"...and not always quietly, if you know what I mean.

When we talked the other night, she said she had some things to tell me, but couldn't. I asked her if there was anyone listening, and she said no, so I asked her to tell me just one thing.

She asked when she was coming home. First time she'd done that since this started five months ago, but we already talked about that.

Last night, I went out to talk to her, to see if she was going to ask again, or if there was something else on her mind. She didn't tell me, but when my brother called, she asked him why she was in the hospital when she didn't feel sick. He called me later and said he'd told her that she was having problems walking and couldn't feel her feet (although she swore she could), and said that she was somewhere where they could help her.

On one hand, this is a good thing, I guess. She's not fully aware (at least, that's what she tells us) that she's in a nursing home. It makes things difficult because we can't explain things logically to her, to try and get her to understand what's going on. I have to choose my words carefully, as if trying to explain nuclear physics (something about which I have no clue) to a four-year old. Or maybe like trying to hold onto Jell-O.

Actually, the Jell-O might be easier to hold onto.

It's frustrating on our part (and believe-you-me, if there's one thing I understand, it's frustration) trying to deal with this. The people that work there, especially a good friend of mine who's there, help out, so we're really not alone in this. Still, as some of you know, it's not easy trying to fathom something like this.

All I can do is focus on the fact that she's someplace where they can take care of her.
I'll deal with the questions whenever they appear.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, all you can do is breathe, inhale, exhale, and keep focused on the issues. She is where she needs to be, right now.

I know what you are going through, sweetie. And, it is difficult, for everyone...frustrating is an understatement, and each day will bring new frustrations.
<3

Anonymous said...

*hug*

It isn't easy...but like Mom said, she's where she needs to be right now. And you are holding it together as well as anyone can be expected. Know that you're in my thoughts...and as close to "prayers" as anything that I could describe as such.

Be well, my friend...and keep breathing.

Rene said...

I can only occur what the two ladies before me mentioned.
And don't eat right before you go to bed!

Onestar said...

My only defense was that it was late, I was tired and hungry, I hadn't eaten in, oh let's say, 15 hours and I figured...it's pasta. Can't go wrong with pasta.

As it turns out, you CAN go wrong with pasta. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh, and, please go in and put the left parenthesis after the second "Italiano", as it is driving me crazy not to be able to edit it.

Onestar said...

Um, I would, but it wouldn't let me edit it.

But what I'll do is copy and paste it here, just for you:

Lorri said...
Take it from this Italiano (well, half Italiano), you can go wrong with pasta. It isn't so much the pasta, but it is everything else that you put on it.

Thinking of you, always.

Breathing???

And yeah, I know you can go wrong with it. I've done it before, but let's just say I wasn't thinking clearly last night.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fix. ;)

<3

Shauna said...

it's never easy - but you do what you gotta do, eh?

pasta IS a pretty heavy meal for late night. Even the Italians don't do that (The ones in Italy, at least).

Eat some veggies once in a while.;)

C to the Woo! said...

Okay, life lesson #1:
No more pasta for Onie late at night. It gives him the night-woogies ("woogies" is a word I made up. Onie is very familiar with this word, as we have had several conversations about it--both long distance and face-to-face--so the rest of the tribe just figure it out by the pronounciation--lol).

Life lesson #2
Breathing should be automatic by now, dear Onie. It's what you do WHILE you are breathing that is important. No doubt our wise and wonderful Lorri has told you this. Are you fretting? C-Woo says no-no! Are you stressing?
C-Woo says no-no! Are you considering the fact that you are doing the best you can and you will cross any proverbial bridge as it comes? C-Woo says good answer! Are you contemplating your navel? C-Woo says this is allowed on occasion, just don't become obsessed, or people in white coats will take you away.

Life lesson #3 is for the poster who commented something Onie had to delete: STOP WRITING THINGS YOU SHOULDN'T OR C-WOO IS GOING TO RIP YOU A NEW ONE.

Thank you. My work here is done.

Hang in there, honey.

Onestar said...

I am not fretting.
I am not stressing.

I am sitting down for a second to rest my back, and while I'm here, I might just check out my navel... :-D

Anonymous said...

C-Woo, life lesson #3...are you referring to me...lol. I didn't write anything I shouldn't, and you know that. "This post has been removed by the blog administrator"

I made a typo, and it drove me crazy that I couldn't go in and edit it, so Onie, deleted it (unbeknownst to me), and fixed the typo, and added what I said in the post, into his post, under Lorri says...

LOL

Onestar said...

I think C Woo was referring to out "anonymous" friend who posts here on occasion. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL, okay, I see, Onie, and you are probably right about who C was referring to. LOL

Sterl said...

Sounds like you're doing everything you can possibly do. Just try to keep yourself healthy. ;)