Saturday, November 15, 2008

Two weeks

Tired.

Dunno if I'm more physically or mentally tired. I think it's somewhere between the two, but right now, I can't tell which is which.

Let's see...right now, as I type this, it's about 9:30 Eastern time. Two weeks from this moment, I'll (hopefully) be in the new townhouse, trying to get some things unpacked (either that, or Julie, Tim and I will be at Fatty's, chillin' and introducing Tim to Cajun Potato Salad).

But that's in two weeks time. More on that soon. Let's see what we've got going on right now...

Today was the "small move". Tim, his kids and a friend came over and we moved out some of the pieces of furniture that's not going with me to DeKalb. The dining room, where I'm typing this, is now half-empty: The buffet, bar and organ are all down in storage, along with a few totes, my comic book collection (yes, I'm NOT bringing my comics) and a few other things.

The move went well today. We got the van about 9 this morning amid light showers and sprinkles, and the kids were ready when we got back to the house. It went pretty quick, and I treated 'em to Eat 'N Park for lunch.

Got back to the house and one of my brothers called, saying he was on his way over to get some of his stuff. He's concerned about me selling the house, right now, at a time of economic insecurities. He's worried about me losing my safety net, getting into financial troubles, which could cause problems between me and Julie.

I told him that I've had this house, this safety net, for the last 41 years. The time is right for a change. I'm in love, yes, and I want to be with her, and it's time for me to live my life...and if that means I'm gonna be out there, no job, deep in debt...so be it. I don't care if I have to go clean toilets, I'll do what I have to do.

He and I...we're both stubborn. My brother and I love each other dearly, and we worry about the other. He doesn't want to see me hurt, and I appreciate that more than words can say, but I'm not worried. Much like my love, I know it will all work out in the end. I have faith that way.

There's a bunch of tubs sitting around the house. I've got a few more things to move to storage...nothing major, pictures, nick-nacks and the ilk...and some important papers that I'll either have to put in a safe-deposit box or have my brother put in his. Once that's done, then things get packed for The Big Move.

I've got a reservation for a 17-foot U-Haul to be picked up on Friday the 28th. We'll drop Tim's car off at the airport (this is a one-way trip, and Tim's gonna fly back the next day), pick up the truck and come back to pack it. Crash for a bit, get up, as Tim says "stupid early" and drive to DeKalb.

Once we get there, Julie and her kids will be there to help us unpack. We'll get the big things put where they belong, assembled and then I can work on the details later.

Over the next two weeks, I've gotta work with the Realtor to get the house on the market, get utilities turned on there (and turn the ones here down to next to nothing), drop off some things to storage and to family here, say "goodbye" to local friends, and maybe even have a little turkey along the way.

I'm so excited. I'm so happy. I'm just so looking forward to moving, to starting my "life" out there with Julie. Will it be easy at the start? Maybe, maybe not.

All I know is...it's my life, and I'm ready to start living it. Might've taken me a bit longer than others, but I'm ready to start living.

4 comments:

loveno88 said...

I read this with a huge grin. I would like to think that money wont come between us seeing as neither one of us have any.

Life is too short to worry about the 'what ifs'. I will take care of you when youre here as you will take care of me.

We are blessed with wonderful, supporting friends and family. We will be ok.

Mrs. Hillis said...

Julie said it so beautifully...but then again, so did John, Paul, George, and Ringo:

"Love is all you need"

hehe.

Charlotte

Rene said...

You will find the energy to get through all of this, believe me. And I'm happy to see you got so much help. (BTW, how does your best friend take it that you're up and moving? Must be hard for him as well.)
All the other stuff, you two can tackle if or when it happens; it looks like you got a pretty solid base to work from :-)

Eric S. said...

I agree with you, my love. I don't think money will be an issue with us. Broke people are happier anyway. ;)

As for Tim...he's been my biggest supporter. He gets it, as Julie might say. He's sorry to see me go, but he's happy that I've found someone who loves me, who I love, and that I'm going to have the life I deserve.