Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boxes, boxes, boxes

I took down the pictures tonight.

For those of you who've been in my house, you'll know that I have pictures on the walls. Photos I've taken, a painting here or there, gifts from friends.

There's only two pictures on the walls right now, simply because they won't fit in the box: An old painting of The Last Supper that's been in the family for I don't know how long, and my print of Hopper's Nighthawks, my favourite painting. That's it. All the others have been packed away.

Yeah, the packing phase has begun. The kitchen's about 75% packed away. Glassware, pots and pans (except my wok...bought it a year or so ago for $10 and never used it) and some of my appliances. Dishes haven't been packed yet. I can do that tomorrow. Not that big a deal: I've got plenty of paper plates to hold me for the next week or so.

About 90% of what's going to storage is there. I've got just gotta pack some of the nick-nacks, like Mum's China Doll (that my oldest brother brought her back from The Orient, when he was in Vietnam) and some little things.

Friday, Tim's coming over to get the desk and the TV. Yes, I'm giving him my big 37-inch, widescreen, high definition, heaviest sonofabitch on the face of God's Green Earth television. It took three of us to get the TV into the house, and that was six years ago. I told him early on, when he helped me get it in the house, that I'd give it to him someday. I do try and keep my word.

I've already disconnected my main computer. It's sitting over in one corner of the room. I'm using my laptop for the next week or so to surf the web here. It's weird to see it all apart over there. I made a backup of the drive before shutting it down, though...one never knows what's gonna happen when moving.

Down to 10 days now. Julie's as anxious as I am. I just want these days to be over, to be out there. All I have to do is make one more drive out there, one more trip, and I don't have to leave her again. It will be wonderful...

Called and setup utilities out there today, gas, water and electric. I'm gonna call The Evil Empire tomorrow to see if they'll give me internet-only at a decent price, but I'm not expecting it. Instead, I'll just use The Other Evil Empire to stick with DSL, in the chance they get FiOS out there at some point. Don't need home phone service, just a dedicated data line.

I'll have to see what I'm gonna do for a cellphone provider out there. The Death Star and the aforementioned Other Evil Empire have limited service out there (the irony of their commercials, saying they've got the best coverage, is not lost on me). The one that has the best coverage, amazingly enough, is those NASCAR Cup sponsors. Hm. Not sure I wanna go back to them, given some of Prosey's problems.

I'll figure that out after I get there and, oh, I dunno, get a job? Gee, that'd be wonderful. I've been applying for three or four jobs daily out there, and so far, just a handful of "we're not hiring now" letters. Got one phone call from a HR department, saying I passed the first round of qualifications, but didn't get a call from the department itself. Looks like I won't be going "forward, together forward" I guess.

Wow. I've been rambling. Either I'm tired or...nah, I'm tired.

I'm gonna go offline, listen to a little more Mad Dog Comedy (I miss XM Comedy), wait for my beloved to call, and then go veg.

More later, kids...be good.

8 comments:

Rene said...

Getting closer and closer, my friend. Ugh, Comcrap, I hope you will be able to get Verizon FiOS at some point. As far as ATT goes, so far it has better reception almost everywhere compared to t-mobile.

Eric S. said...

And yet, there are places out where I'm moving that I can't get a signal!

I checked their coverage map, and there are large portions of Sycamore (the town right next door to DeKalb) that have zero coverage with AT&T.

It amazes me. I go into a store out there and my cell doesn't work...

Denise said...

It'll all get there...and will work itself out as it's supposed to. *nod*

Squooshiewoodums said...

I have "that other evil Empire" as a cell provider. Gotta go outside and stand in the middle of the driveway to get a usable signal - no the network is not everywhere. (it seems that I live in a deadzone for All the carriers) It was the only one that worked reliably in Mt. Pleasant for the family plan and the oldest boy.

I remember packing for our move across states 16+ years ago. It took me an entire month to pack it all and I still have a box or two I've never unpacked. I don't envy you and wish you the best of luck...

Cami said...

G'luck figuring everything out! A lot of us are reduced to using the various nefarious business... iouses... to get done what needs to be. I've had my fill of Comcast.

Oh, and interestingly, it turns out we'll be moving only one day apart, though you're moving a lot farther than I am. :]

Mrs. Hillis said...

Onward and upward, dear...hang in there!

DarkerNights said...

hmmmmmmmmmmm

ROFL..

facce that's right onie.

Foodie said...

moving is a bitch, you have to pack pack pack and then unpack unpack unpack...

but once you are done, it feels SO good to finally be where you belong :)