Thursday, September 18, 2008

A little waterlogged, but none the worse for wear

Thursday night, 9:20PM CDT.
DeKalb, IL.

I left Pittsburgh Monday before the dawn. Woke up around 2:30 and could not go back to sleep, so I figured...might as well get ready and go.

The trip was uneventful, but gorgeous. I kinda like driving that hour of the morning: Few idiots, and few state police, on the highway. Although it was raining when I left PA, the skies cleared and I was Driving With the Moon again. Always nice to go for a ride with the moon lighting my way, this time, leading me to my love.

The rains from Ike that hit the Midwest made for some interesting moments. Usually, I bypass the heart of Chicago, taking 80/94 to the South and coming up 294 before I hit the East/West Tollway, but 80/94 was closed due to flooding. I was amazed that the entire roadway was closed...and also a bit lost. I'd only ever gone the one way, and here I was going on unfamiliar roads.



Thankfully, I had a rough idea where I was going. When Julie and I spent the weekend in Toledo, she didn't take my turn-off, and went through the heart of the city. She called me for directions, and I had a Triptik in the glove compartment (long story for another blog) how to get there. I talked her through it then, and remembered the directions.

It did add a good hour travel time, however. I'm just thankful I didn't have to go through Chicago during peak rush hour. How folks make it on those roads is beyond me.

When I did make it to DeKalb, it was right before she left work. Mind you, when Julie called me earlier, I sorta...fibbed...on where I was, telling her I was about two hours behind where I was actually was. I pulled into the parking lot at her Target just as she and her team were coming out the door. Rolled down the window and told her "Excuse me, I'm looking for some help finding something..."

To say she was surprised and happy to see me was an understatement.

It's been nice these last few days. I've sent in a bunch of resumes and applications for work out here. Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hopeful.

Tomorrow's going to be game night here. I've heard stories of the game nights held here at the Williams household in the past, and I'm looking forward to it. Julie's stressing a little: She wants the house to look a certain way before company arrives, and I fear I might've been a...distraction. I know it'll be last minute, but tomorrow, whatever I can do to help clean, I will.

I think I shocked her a little this evening when I washed the dishes in the sink...

This weekend, Julie and I are going to Lake Geneva for a getaway, just the two of us. It's going to be...romantic...I believe. We're both looking forward to getting up early, getting on the road, and just spending some "us" time together.

The more time I spend with her, the harder it is for me to leave here. Hopefully, I'll find work out here, find a place to live (no, I'm not going to move in with Julie just yet) and spend more time with my love and my family.

It's been...amazing, and I believe the best is yet to come.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

nice!

Rene said...

Gotta love the rains and drains *razz*
Glad you got to the DeKalb in one piece to surprise Julie, though :-)
Enjoy your romantic getaway!

Denise said...

*hug*


...and hrmas...*blink*