Monday, September 08, 2008

The Bluesman, Live in Concert

So, today's been a mega-geeky kinda day.

I can probably guarantee this is the kinda day that will likely drive Julie nuts, when we're living together, because she'll be wondering what the Hell she's done, falling in love with a geek.

At any rate...

I've set up a music server here at home. One computer, with all my music ripped to MP3 (at the "insane" bitrate, remember), running Ubuntu and Squeezecenter.

The setup is simple. I've just got to open Firefox to Squeezecenter's webpage, and use the interface to pick and choose what songs I wanna hear. From there, I use any audio player that can handle streaming music (I recommend, as always, Winamp), and tell it to play. The music starts playing. Sure, I could just pop in the CD, but if I wanna hear a mix of Emimen, Andre Rieu, Frank Sinatra and Blue Man Group, I can use this. It's simple, in a geek kinda way.

I wanted to play music from the server through my PSP. I knew it could be done: A few firmware updates back, they added Internet Radio to the device. S'cool: You can choose from a bunch of streaming audio stations and have it play through your wifi connection. But I couldn't figure out how to get my music play.

A bit of websurfing, a few downloads, a quick editing of a HTML file and not only was the music streaming, I was geeking out. Thank goodness no one saw me geek dancing in the living room. It was not a pretty site.

But that's not all I was doing. I was multi-geeking.

I've been playing with Apophysis again, designing more fractals. I wanted to make a calendar of my fractal art, and I completed the last couple designs for it. I'd made one more design, and this time...I wanted to do something different.

Bluesman Poster


It's just a shame that some damn tagger had to go and mess up that wall after I hung the poster...

3 comments:

Rene said...

You know, some day I will hook up my computers to a surround system and play my music through the speakers (loudly *grin*) and wirelessly in all rooms *grin*
It's cool that you managed to totally geek out *giggle*

Shauna said...

multi-geeking!


sounds good to me

loveno88 said...

If I want to listen to multiple CDs, I am able to put them in my MULTIPLE CD PLAYER!!!

Im already asking myself....WTF.

Regardless of what I 'think', I know I love you with all my heart.

Geek on and do what you do best, honey. I love you....