Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A copy of my letter to Saturn

So, remember awhile back, I mentioned that I was having car problems and the dealership said I needed a new engine?

Yeah, well...

I'd been waiting for the proper moment (when I was frustrated and pissed off enough) to write Saturn directly...not contact the dealership...and let them know how I feel. Here, gentle reader, is a copy of what I've sent them.

Greetings;

Two weeks ago, there was a problem with the oil light "flickering" on in my 97 Saturn SL-1 coupe. I returned to the Pleasant Hills Saturn, where the car had maintenance work (egs valve replaced, bg flush) a few weeks prior to have them check the car and see if the problem might be related to the work previously done.

I should note that this was only the second time I'd used that Saturn dealership: In the past 11 years, all work (save for tires) on that car had been performed by Saturn of Monroeville, but because they were unable to work on the car that day, and I had a pressing engagement the next day and needed the car checked right away, I went to the Pleasant Hills dealership.

I noted that the car was, roughly a quart low on oil, so they said they would fill it with oil (no charge) and let it run for 15 minutes to see what happened.

They later told me that smoke was coming out of the tailpipe, and that the engine would need to be rebuilt or replaced. As as alternative, I could look into purchasing a new car.

At this time, none of those options are financially acceptable, so I left, and contacted another mechanic to check the car.

Imagine my surprise when, after he checked the car, there was a different story entirely.

He noted a smell of gas in the oil (something the mechanic at Saturn of Pleasant Hills completely ignored and failed to mention at any time), and said that the engine is fine: All I needed was an oil change. He said I should still get another two or three years out of that engine.

I find it rather curious that two mechanics would have RADICALLY different answers to my problem. I also find it curious that the dealership would recommend purchasing, imagine this, a new car roughly around the same time that of year (end of June, beginning of July) that the dealership is trying to get rid of existing stock for the newer models.

What's worse is that the "trained Saturn mechanic" would recommend replacing an engine...a MAJOR EXPENSE...when another mechanic merely recommended an oil change and, after checking and road testing the engine, said it was in good working condition.

Rest assured, I will NOT be returning to Saturn of Pleasant Hills for ANY reason.

Thanks,
*

Of course, the true irony of it all is that, when I try to submit the form, I get a 404 error. How fitting.

No worries. I'll keep trying. It'll just make me angrier...and you wouldn't like to see me get angry.

5 comments:

Dark0Goddess said...

My next car will definitely not be a Saturn.

Onestar said...

See, I still love my Saturn, and I'd be more than willing to get another one when I finally get rid of this one. It's been a great car for me.

But, sweetie, you know I respect your decision. :)

Anonymous said...

that is just amazing. I mean WOW. Good for you for trying to send that letter. I hope you do manage to get it to them.

Kel said...

good on ya for writing it, now i'll keep my fingers crossed you can get it thru to them!

socamx said...

Do you turn green and get bulkier when angry?

Pretty much you can't trust those dealership guys, they're all about getting as much money as they can. Stories like this are so common it is sad really.

Money grubbing blood-suckers most of them are.