Thursday, July 19, 2007

The call of the open road

I can remember, growing up, that around this time of year, My Kid and I would either be getting ready to go on vacation, or already on one. While we'd take trips by airplane to visit her sister in California, most of the trips were in the car.

When I was young, it was the beach (although, these days, I'm not much of a beach person). As I got older, it was cities and towns that fascinated me. Niagara Falls was a staple every year, and it never got boring. Toronto, which to this day I still call my second home, became a destination of choice.

Twice we drove cross-country (even though The Kid did all the driving...I was too young at the time). It was one of the greatest adventures I'd been on, that cross-country trek. Once down-and-across, another, more along the center of the country. I've some photos from those adventures, even though I did run out of film (remember those days?) partway into the Rockies. The memories I have can't do those justice.

It's around this time of year, I hear the call of the open road. I start to get nervous, edgy, anxious to get in my car and drive. Mind you, I worry about my poor car making the trip these days, but I think once she (yes, my car is female) got on the highway, we'd make it with no problems. She always did work better on open highway anyway.

Maybe it's those childhood memories that cause this urge, this feeling in my soul, to get on the road and drive. Maybe it's the monotony of everyday life here that makes me want to go to someplace different, see something new. Although, honestly, I swear, I could make the Pittsburgh to Niagara Falls drive blind-folded, I've taken it so many times.

There'll be no vacation for me this Summer, however. I won't say "times are tight", but I do have to watch certain expenses. I'm living on a budget, or trying to at least, these days.

But the road still beckons. It's a soft voice, in the back of my mind, pulling at my soul. I know I'll be on the road again at some point, just not today.

3 comments:

Mrs. Hillis said...

I miss road trips, also. We used to take them from here (Tennessee) to Michigan and back all the time (or vice versa, depending on where we lived at the time).

Didn't get a chance to this summer, but maybe in the future. There's nothing like a good music list for the road, a cooler full of beverages, a few snacks, and the open road ahead of you. Sheer bliss.

Foodie said...

I know what you mean, I enjoy driving and being on the road as much as you do... but I'm on a budget too and I don't think we'll go anywhere this year either :(

Kel said...

i had my itch scratched when we drove over to my aunt's place a little while back for her partners funeral, not the way i'd like a road trip to go, but it got me out on the highways for 8 hours a day for 2 days...

the urge has calmed down for the moment, but i swear i must've been a gypsie somewhere along the line, cos i can never fully settle down in one place for toooo long ;)

I've done 5 cross country (top to bottom) trips, 3 on my own and 2 with my family... it's just wonderful being soo free to do anything i want when i want :D