Tuesday, August 15, 2006

And now, a musical interlude.

We interrupt your usual blog with a plug:

WJAS

The above link is to one of the few terrestial radio stations I'll actually listen to. Given my love of music, you'd like that I'd have dozens of stations to choose from, sampling the sounds from various genres and formats.

However, most traditional radio stations, now that they're all owned by the same "Clear" company for the most part, play the same old songs.

I remember visiting New Orleans a few years back, excited that I was visiting one of the true homes of Jazz in the US, only to find pretty much the same crap I hear back home. It wasn't until I found a cool college station, WWOZ, that I actually heard traditional, and damn good, Jazz.

But back to the topic at hand. 1320 WJAS.

It's the station I have on first thing in the morning when I get up. It's one of the few I listen to in the car (although most of the time I've got my own CDs spinning). And now, they're back on the Internet, after legal battles kept them offline for years.

If you like traditional artists like Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como, you'll like this station.
If you like some of the newer artists like Michael Buble and Jane Monheit, you'll like this station.
If you like professional announcers that don't believe they have to insult the audience to entertain, you'll like this station.

Give it a listen sometime, if you're interested. It is based in Pittsburgh, so you'll get local news, sports, traffic and weather, but you'll also get some good music.

Who knows? We might be listening to it at the same time...

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Both are good stations - for the little bit I listened, but I bookmarked them and will have to go back. I bounce around a lot musically, but listen mornings here --> http://www.x96.com They're a funny morning show with very little music - a good take on the odd culture here.

Lorri said...

I bookmarked them, and will listen later on.