Sunday, May 28, 2006

Oh, What a night

(and it wasn't even late December, back in '63).

We left the house a little before 5 yesterday. I was debating whether to park on the South Side and take the water taxi over to the game (which I love to do), or just park next to the ballpark so the Kid and I wouldn't have to walk very far. I took the long way downtown, through the surface streets (because trying to navigate the highways around here is insane, but that's a rant for another time).

I finally opted for parking next to the ballpark, simply because it was cheaper. There was a time you could save money parking across the river and taking the 'taxi, but not on the weekend. This would turn out to be the right decision, later.

We went inside, and after a bit of a walk, I found a place for her to sit while I went and got dinner. Picked her up a burger and got myself a smoked pork sammich from Manny's BBQ (still the best place to eat at the ballpark...I've yet to find another place as good as that), and after we ate, we made our way slowly to the seats.

Back at the first row again, right field side. The usher there is beginning to get to know us. He keeps saying the Kid is a good luck charm, and she flirts like mad with him right back. ;)

The game got started just after 7. First we were up, then Houston, then we rallied, then they did. It was 6-5, going into the bottom of the 8th, when Burnitz hit a homerun pinch-hitting to tie the game...

...and there it stayed. 9th inning. 10th. 11th. 12th. (Finally, the Kid fessed up she needed the bathroom. For someone who goes every two hours like clockwork, I was impressed she made it that far.) 13th.

The 14th inning stretch (double the traditional 7th inning stretch) was a nice touch.

It was the 15th inning, and it was past Midnight. I knew she was tired. She was getting cranky. I asked her if she wanted to leave, and she said what do you think? What's more important to you, me or this game.

It was a no-brainer.

I wished the folks well in our section, said goodbye to the usher and we walked out. All the while, the Kid is crying, upset because we had to leave because of her. She was tired, I knew, and if I was by myself, I would've stayed...but I can't do that. I have to think of her and put her needs first. She had her medication she still had to take, and she's usually fast asleep (waiting for the next two-hour bathroom interval) by this time.

It was the end of the 16th inning before we finally left the ballpark. (We don't walk too fast, y'know). Got to the car for the start of the 17th, and she thinks I'm mad at her. Really, I was just concentrating on driving, and still listening to the game at the same time. Houston was up in the top of the 17th, and they scored. 7-6. I figured, well, they'd been trying to lose it for the last couple innings, they'd finally given up.

Took surface streets back home (if I take the highway here in Pittsburgh, I have to go through a big tunnel, and I'd lose the signal for the game, and besides, it was such a nice night, I did feel like a little crusing).

Bottom of the 17th. First batter, Jose Castillo. First pitch, he hits a home run. These Pirates haven't given up yet. Gawddamn, I yell! They tied it up! It's still gonna go!

We get home, she gets her pills, and I turn the game on. She's gone upstairs to do whatever women do in bathrooms (y'all know, so I don't have to elaborate), and I stand in the archway, watching the game. It's the middle of the 18th. I get my copy of the Media Guide to check on what the longest game they've played: 19 innings, 6+ hours. We're getting close to that.

Bottom of the 18th. The Kid's downstairs. She's sitting on the couch watching. I've got too much energy to sit down, but to keep her calm, I do. Jason Bay at bat. He gets on first. Steals second. The go to intentionally walk Craig Wilson, and there's a wild pitch! A wild pitch during an intentional walk! It's unheard of (mostly)! Bay on third.

Castillo back up at bat. He hits a sac fly to shallow center. Bay's going home...the catcher for Houston drops it...the Pirates win! Holy crap in a hat! They're celebrating like mad down there!

(What is it with Canadians saving sports in this city, anyway? Lemieux did it with the Pirates for years, and now Bay's doing it with the Bucs.)

Game over. I watch a little of the recap and flip on Baseball Tonight on ESPN to see what they have to say about it. Typically, they're anti-Pittsburgh anyway, so they play up more to Houston. Feh. I don't let it bother me.

It was, for the most part, a magical night. An incredible night. Yeah, it was cut short, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Oh, and for the curious, if we had stayed, and the Pirates needed an extra hand, methinks the Kid was ready to jump in... ;)

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Holy good game, Batman! Sounds exciting. Glad you got to be there for part of it at least. I'm sorry she was upset on the way home, but you wouldn't have enjoyed the rest of the game anyway if you'd stayed knowing she was ready to go home. The sammich sounded wonderful too. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed, what a night!!