Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Baseball been very, very good to me

Tickets. First base line. Front row for me and the kid tonight.
And I'm sitting at home watching the game on TV.

It's been raining for the last four, five, twenty days here. I'd hoped it would stop by game time, but it hadn't. We had warm clothes (it was in the mid-fifties) and rain ponchos to keep us dry. We got to the park, it was raining. We ate, it was raining. We sat in the seats waiting for the game to start and it still rained.

After about an hour and a half, I realized the water was ponding down at my feet. My shoes were soaked...and I was worried about the kid (diabetic neuropathy), that she wouldn't realize her feet were getting too wet.

I made a decision I rarely make. I told her we were leaving.

We left. Got in the car. Started to leave the parking lot. I turned on the radio to the game...and they said the game was gonna start in 15 minutes. There was a break in the rain. They were gonna play...but we'd already left, and once you leave, you can't go back in.

Yet it was the best decision. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The kid's health is more important than a game. We're gonna go see Andre Rieu tomorrow night. I'd rather she be healthy to see that.

I'll be back at the ballpark some other night, preferrably some dry night.

Oh, and for the record, as of this writing, the Pirates are winning 7-3 in the top of the 8th. It started raining again after about five innings.

Yeah. It was the right decision.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you always insist on calling her "The Kid"? She is a grown woman who may be failing in her health but is still not a child. Have some respect for the years God has allowed her to have, please. Call her your mother, not your kid. It just seems demeaning to her, somehow.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous--why do YOU insist on commenting on it? Is it your life? NO Is it your mom? NO Is it YOUR business? um...nope. STFU.

Ignore this person, Onie...they are just being a nosey idiot.

Shauna said...

Do you think this is someone who knows you? I think those who do 'know' you - even the online version of you will respect you more. Breathe deep, sweets, don't let the jerks get you down.

Onestar said...

Thank you, ladies. :)

Yeah, I think this is someone who "knows" me...although they don't know what I can be like when I get upset... :)