Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday night in Pittsburgh

John Denver once sang about how good it is to be back home again. I've been home for two days now, and while it is good to be back home, all things considered...

Hi, kids. I'm back in the 'Burgh again.

Julie suggested (in that loving, you-know-I'm-right-so-listen-to-your-woman kind of voice) that I leave earlier than I did, but as we all know, I've got this bit of a stubborn streak in me. Left DeKalb around 2 in the afternoon, and ran into a bit of construction congestion south of Chicago and again inside Indiana. No matter what time I'd left, I would've run into it. Leaving around then, I miss any rush hour traffic I might find near Chi-town.

Mind you, I didn't want to leave. Reality and logically speaking, however, I knew I had to go. Julie...God, I love her...needs time to adjust to me (as we all know, I can take a bit to get used to) and with the stress she's going through right now, she needs some time to breathe.

Her Gram's dying. She's 99 years old, bless her heart, and she's got congestive heart failure. She's a fighter, though. She may be ready to move onto the next world, but her body wants to stick around. I had the chance to meet her, and I must say...she's quite a woman. I'm only sorry I had to meet her under these circumstances, and I didn't get to meet her in her prime. I have a feeling she'd have danced me under the table. ;)

Also had the chance to meet some of Julie's family and closest friends. Her brothers...I think one of them likes me, the other...doesn't know me well enough to make a decision yet. Her best girlfriends, on the other hand, I think they like me. Her whole family is wonderful, and when I'm there...it feels like home.

Leaving gets harder every time.

Took a bunch of pictures while I was out there. I think Julie was surprised by the number I took (I know she's not comfortable in front of the camera, but she's so beautiful...I try to respect her wishes, but I can't help myself sometimes), and most of those shots won't see the light of day, but there's one I had to share with everyone here:




But now I'm back here. I'd hoped to do some yardwork today, but the weather decided to work against me...it started raining as soon as I went to go out to cut the grass. Oh, well...some other time.

I think I'm going to go make some dinner now. Maybe throw a pizza on the cooker. I'm recording the NASCAR All-Star race for Julie right now...it must be love if I'm willing to have NASCAR on my TV. I'm teasing!

No news on the job front to report. When I have something to say about it, I will.

How's things with everyone else?

6 comments:

loveno88 said...

Dont let him fool you. He has picked Matt Kenseth as his NASCAR driver.

Love you, honey.

Eric S. said...

Ahem.

I haven't picked him.
He just happened to be on the cup I got at Arby's. ;)

I love you too, sweetheart.

Rene said...

NASCAR, isn't that the racing where the drivers are afraid of making a right turn? *grin*
Glad you had a good time, but you are also right that Julie needs room to breathe ... and to be honest, so do you. Things seem to be going well, and if you take careful steps you'll get there *nod*

Cami said...

It's never easy leaving a situation like that. Good luck to the both of you! I'm rather excited to see how things progress for you.

How are things with me? Meh, taking it day by day, really. I'll get there. :)

Shauna said...

99 and an impressive as hell lady, I'm sure.

My thoughts are with you all.

Foodie said...

I understand why you can't keep the lens off her, she is inded very beautiful, the pepper thingy picture down there is just lovely, you guys look extremely happy together ♥