Friday, March 13, 2009

You can't go home again, part VII

It's over.


Mum was laid to rest shortly before Noon today. Despite being a little chilly, it was a beautiful day. Clear skies, slight breeze, sunny. If it were warmer, some would say it was perfect, but I thought it was just fine the way it was.

The day started out with us arriving at the funeral home around 8:30. I don't know if they were expecting more than just family to show, but that's all that were there: Family. Yes, Tim and Connie were there, but to me, they're family.

Of course, we were told to be there by 8:30. Father Frank (the parish pastor and man who's gonna perform the service) didn't have to show up until 9:35, and most of us hadn't had breakfast. Things were relaxed, jokes were made, and we were okay. When the priest came, though...it got quiet.

The service at the funeral home was simple. A few prayers, a few comments, and then folks were invited to pay their last respects. Friends first...Tim, Connie and Danny's girlfriend. Then the grandkids all went up as a group. Finally, it was the brothers turn: Dan and his wife, Tom and his, Steve and his...and finally me.

During everyone's last visits, I was standing off to the side, holding up the wall (as it were). Tears started to flow as it came to the brother's turn, and I didn't hold them back. As Steve went, I walked over to get a tissue. He went to leave, stopped, put his arm around me and asked if I was okay. I nodded...couldn't speak. I went up, Stood there. Smiled. Cried. Said goodbye.



We went to the church. The service there was quite nice. It was simple: My nephew went did most of the reading, and he was quite good. Seems he reads at his church.

What was more impressive was that I was able to walk into my old parish and the place didn't blow up. Guess I'm still in good with the Powers-That-Be. ;)

I was a pallbearer, taking the back-left corner. My brothers and the two oldest grandkids were the others. Thankfully, we didn't drop the casket. Mum might not have liked that too much.



After the mass, we went to the cemetery. Even though it was a little chilly, the last part of the service was outside, near the mausoleum. Yeah, she's got a drawer...surprised me when she bought it 12 years ago, since she swore she'd never be buried in one of them, saying she didn't want to fall out when an earthquake hit...even though earthquakes are few and far between in Western PA.

Father said a few last prayers. We were offered some of the roses that were on display at the funeral home to place on the casket. One last goodbye, a few last details with the funeral home.

We looked around to her drawer. Upper left hand corner, a room with a view. We stood there for a few minutes, talking, and when it was all done...

I led everyone away from the mausoleum.



We went to Dan's for a little party afterwards, spent some time, ate some food, and then it was time to take off. I'll be in the 'burgh for a few more days before headed back to DeKalb, back to my love, to my life. There's still a few more things to do, forms to fill out, details to handle. The hard part is done.

I'm gonna be offline, I think, for a few more days. Time to decompress. Breathe. Live.

Farewell, Mama. You will be missed.

4 comments:

Rene said...

*salute*

Shauna said...

....

Cami said...

I'm sorry I've been out of touch, and doubly sorry about your loss. I can't imagine there's anything I could do, but if you think of something, you know where to find me.

... *hugs*

Lorri said...

Hugs...