Sunday, March 01, 2009

The wake up call

Friday night was game night over here at my place. Julie, most of the kids, and some good friends were over for a couple games. Things like spoons, Taboo, Pit...stuff like that. We had a great time, but we didn't end up going to bed until about 2 in the morning.

About 8:30, barely six and a half hours and nowhere near enough sleep, my phone started to ring. Julie said it was likely Kathy (her best friend) calling to see if we were up. I didn't get to it in time, barely able to move and trying to start my day.

When I did get to the phone, it was the nursing home.

They called to tell me that Mum was getting worse.

They also thought that earlier in the morning, they thought "she was a goner".

Seems that there's been more and more fluid building up in her lungs. The pneumonia she had must not have gone away. Julie, at first, thought there might've been a problem with how they're feeding her with the peg tube, but they're doing it the correct way. Unless the food is working its way back up her esophagus and down into her lungs (the little flap that keeps food from not going into the lungs doesn't work nearly as well as it should)...well, we're not sure.

They've had to clear her lungs several times in the past 24 hours. They didn't feed her yesterday, and so far the doc hasn't said to send her to the hospital.

I'm thinking I may have to make a road trip very, very soon...

5 comments:

Rene said...

I'm sad to hear this ... take care of yourself, OK?!

Squooshiewoodums said...

I'm thinking about you sweetie - saying a few prayers for your mom as well. *big hug*

Denise said...

Sending you lots of strength-filled thoughts. *hugs*

Shauna said...

damn damn

Lorri said...

The feeding tube issue is a difficult one, as you've heard from me before.

The liquid that is fed the patient, can actually exacerbate pneumonia, or bronchitis or pleurisy. Quite often the patient is fed more nutrition through the tube than they actually need, which causes this to occur.