Saturday, March 07, 2009

You can't go home again, part I

It's almost Midnight as I start to type this. I'm at Tim's place (after setting off his home security alarm) and I'm almost ready to call it a night.

It's been a long day.

Left DeKalb around 9 this morning and drove through some very nasty thunderstorms. The rain was coming down so hard and heavy that, at times, I could only see at best 100 feet in front of me.

Of course, that didn't stop most idiots from going at least 15 over the limit.

Julie was very sad to see me go. I didn't want to leave, and being away from her...hurts, but I've gotta do what I have to do.

After about a nine and a half hour drive (I had to go slow because of weather at first, and then minding my speed during some speed traps), I arrived at the hospital just as they were calling me.

Mum was having more trouble breathing...her lungs were full, and she was gurguling. They wanted to let me know they were going to suction her lungs and start her on a morphine drip.

It was kinda funny, in a way. The nurse left a message on my cell because I was talking to someone else, but when I heard the voicemail, I was already in the hospital, so I walked up to the nurses station. She was on the phone with my brother trying to reach me, when I looked at her and said "I'm Eric".

Guess you had to be there.

I saw Mum. I won't go into too many details, but she was having trouble breathing, she didn't respond to anything I was saying, and she looked...tired.

Right now, they're just keeping her comfortable, and they'll call me if anything changes, no matter the time of day.


I'm going to go crash on Tim's couch now. Had a Primanti Bros' sammich...that was so good...but now I'm gonna see if I can get any sleep.

4 comments:

Rene said...

Sleep well, my friend. Tomorrow's another day.

Shauna said...

glad you got a sammich.

Hope your time there goes well.

Denise said...

*hug*

...and this one time, I'm not jealous of that PB sammich. ;)

Squooshiewoodums said...

*big hug*