Thursday, March 12, 2009

You can't go home again, part VI

10PM, Thursday, March 12th.

This would've been Mum's 84th birthday.



Everyone else has gone to bed. I'm going soon, even though I'll wake up a little after 1 when Julie calls me after getting off of work. I didn't get the chance to call or talk to her before she left to work the 6 to Midnight shift tonight, and I feel bad about that, but it was in the middle of visitation, and there were so many people...

I digress. Let me skip back a little earlier in the day, and we'll take it from there.

Tim's girlfriend Connie got into town late last night. This was the first chance I've had to meet her, and let me say, she is a very cool lady. She and Tim are cute together, almost as cute as Julie and I can be. They fit together so well, like my ladylove and I do, and I am so very happy for my best friend, to know that he's found a love like I've found.

Yesterday was also my "off day", a chance to relax, go for a walk, see some old friends and visit old haunts. Got to do a little retail therapy, and have some of the best General Tso's...ever.

Today was different. Today was the viewing.

Tim and the kids took off, to work and school respectively. Connie, in her rush to leave her place and get here, forgot a few things, so we took off first thing in the morning for Target. I think I rather surprised her with my taste in clothing.

Okay, before Julie, Denise or anyone else say anything, listen to me. I have excellent taste. I can coordinate. I can match colors and I know what looks good and what doesn't...on other people. When it comes to me, shit, I don't care. I go for comfortable and functional, and to hell with style. I've never been a slave to fashion, and I'm sorry if you think my look is "conservative", "outdated" or just plain "wrong". I like what I like.

If you don't, do what Julie did and buy me a new wardrobe. ;)

We did the Target thing. We stopped and got some groceries in the house (including getting me some orange juice. I hadn't had any since Friday, and I was jonesing. I hadn't had the chance to get some until now and it tasted so damn good). We got some breakfast, and still got back here in time to relax for a bit before I had to shower and change for the viewing.

Family had to be at the funeral home by 1. I got there, around the same time as most of my family, although Steve was running a bit late. I blame his son, not him. Once we arrived, we went into the viewing area and saw her.



For years, Mum would go once a week to the hair dresser's to have her hair washed and set. Bright and early Tuesday morning, like clockwork, she was there, and John did a wonderful job. He took care of Mum. After she got to the point when she couldn't see that well to drive, I dropped her off and John brought her back home. He and Mum were good friends, and it was her wish to have John fix Mum's hair when she died.

John did an amazing job. It'd been years since he worked on her, but he recaptured her look so beautifully, so perfectly...

She looked like her old self again. She was just sleeping.



It was hard seeing her at times and not crying. It's been hard typing this without tears welling up.



There were two viewing scheduled: 2 to 4 and 6 to 8. Not too many showed up for the first one. Some friends, acquaintances...it was small. We finished up shortly after 4 and went our separate ways. I came back to Tim's place for a bite to eat.



The evening viewing was much different. Mum always wondered if there'd be a lot of people come to see her, and let me tell you, at the height of the evening, the room was full. It was wonderful to see friends come by, some who never met her (friends of ours who came to pay respects) and some she'd known most of her life. Her best friend since she first came to Pittsburgh, when she was 18, was there, someone I had known when I was a kid but hadn't seen in 15 years...at least.

Old friends from my CMU days showed up. Neighbors. Folks from the other side of the family.

I think she'd have been happy with the turnout.



We're supposed to be back there tomorrow at 8:30 for final viewing, blessing by the priest, closing the casket. Head over to the church, have a mass held for her, and off to the cemetery.
Tomorrow is another day. One more day to go.....

4 comments:

Rene said...

I'm glad the viewing turned out to be visited by so many. I'm sure your mom would have been proud. And I'm sure you did done do good by her :-)

Denise said...

Just for now...and only out of my sense of respect (if you can call it that *wink*), I won't say a word about your wardrobe. Nor will I volunteer to correct it - LOL - I will leave that in Julie's capable hands. :)

*heavy sigh* More I wanna say & dunno how. Just know we're thinkin' about you & yours with strength-filled thoughts.

Shauna said...

I'm glad this bit is behind you.

be well

Alfie said...

I wish I had known about this sooner. I would have come visit. sorry to hear about her passing, she was a very special lady and she was always so nice to me.