Tuesday, March 10, 2009

You can't go home again, part IV

Today was all about making arrangements and cleaning out.

My brothers and I met at the funeral home at Noon today to work out the details of Mum's viewing. I'll post the link to the obituary tomorrow, but the bottom line is that the viewing is Thursday and the funeral mass is Friday.

There was no drama. There were no controversies. There was one point where I basically told them "it was going to be this way" when it came to her teddy bear. I'm honoring Mum's wishes, doing what she told me she wanted done years ago.

My brothers didn't necessarily like the outfit I picked out for her (which I really had no problem with...I'm a guy...Julie will tell you about my sense of fashion. I go with what I like and what's comfortable, even though some might disagree (coughsportcoatscough).

A new dress was found at the home, and she'll look lovely.

After the funeral home business was finished, we went to the cemetery to sign the paperwork (and get the sales pitch) to open the crypt, or as Mum used to call it, her filing cabinet.

They'll be ready for us on Friday morning after the mass.

My brothers and I parted ways once the business was completed, and I went out the the funeral home. There were some goodbyes with the staff there, hugs, well wishes...and then I had to go through her things.

Her clothes, we donated to the nursing home. It only seems fair, since the other residents were wearing some of her sweatshirts on many occasions.

She didn't have too much otherwise. A couple quilts my sister-in-law made. Some photos. I've brought everything back here and will go through it tomorrow.

Tomorrow is also contacting her insurance company to start the process of getting the policy cashed in. I might also take a trip back to my old stomping grounds in Oakland, see what (and who) I can see, if there's time.

It's the last "day off" before the funeral begins...

2 comments:

Rene said...

Tight schedule. Good luck with all that needs to be done.

Denise said...

*hug* Don't worry about the dress...any of you. *chuckle* I'm sure your mom doesn't mind one way or the other - and I'm sure she will look lovely - just leave the sportscoat away from the ensemble. ;)

<3