Sunday, February 11, 2007

Presenting OneDesktop 2007: The Breakdown

OneDesktop 2007
If you're reading this, you're obviously bored beyond words. I cannot help you.

1. The PC itself. Hasn't been upgraded too much (although a new motherboard with native SATA support and an extra 512MB RAM, brining it up to a total of 2GB, were added late last year), and still works for me very well. This baby will NOT see Vista anytime soon.

2. Palm Tungsten T3. Four-and-a-half year old PDA. Works great, but if I get 20 minutes out of the battery these days, I'm lucky.

3. Wireless router. Encrypted. Don't even think about hacking my network. I'll hunt you down and hurt you. Seriously.

4. 1994 World Series Baseball. My precious.

5. Assorted stuff, as follows:

Rings (in ring cases)
Gorillapod (small)
Bluetooth GPS unit
Paper holder

6. Rocket (sitting atop a speaker)

7. 18" display (currently showing my Flying Toasted screen saver...perhaps the finest screen saver ever created)

8. Logitech Quickcam, for when I feel like showing off to the world.

9. Assorted desk toys. Boys must have their toys, after all. In no particular order:

Dragon statues
Miniature bottle of Tabasco
Hot Wheels motorcycles
Incomplete roll of pre-1970 pennies (still collecting them)
Silver quarter (1960)
CR 2032 battery (slightly obscured)

10. Antz (sitting atop the other speaker)

11. HP Deskjet Photoprinter. A workhorse of a printer. The photo ink cartridge is the red thing sitting down on the desk next to the other speaker.

12. Green Arrow. One of my all-time favourite comic book heroes.

13. Some random Star Wars starfighter.

14. Canceled check statements I've yet to go through. One of these years...

15. R2-D2. He makes noise when you push his chest. Envy me.

16. My favourite object d'art.

17. My scanner. Sitting atop the scanner are papers I have to scan. Packing slips, mostly. I try and make electronic copies of the important papers, and then forget where I store them...

18. The Junk Pile.

Okay, let's see...we've got my iRiver H10 (20GB) player, some random CDs and cases,
another GPS unit (because one cannot have enough GPS receivers lying around the house), a 100GB external hard drive (music backup), a CD case (buried on the bottom), some more rings, pens, a tablet, Hoffa (sike!), a letter opener, assorted other odds and ends...

Venture into The Junk Pile at your own risk.

19. Top Desk Drawer, with some more desk-related items. It's not open for a reason.

20. Bottom Desk Drawer. See above, but it's the bottom drawer.

21. My leather desk chair. Nice high back. Fits my butt well. Those who see and sit in it are envious.

22. UPS (off screen) and Logitech Wingman Wireless game controller (also off screen).

23. Sliding keyboard tray (installed by yours truly).

24. Logitech G15 Keyboard. Note the function keys on the left side. That's what sold me on this keyboard. I'm used the old Gateway 2000 keyboard with the function keys on the left. Those programmable keys are a lifesaver for an old hacker like me, used to keyboard shortcuts.

25. USB Flash drives (2). The larger blue one is 512MB, and the smaller gray one is 2GB.

26. Usually blank space, currenly occupied by a CD I've got to remember to send the Priestess, and a fortune from a fortune cookie. :)

27. Logitech (yes, I do buy a lot of their stuff, 'cause it works) wireless mouse and wrist rest. Please note the cardboard mousepad I use.

I put far too much effort into this. Looks like you're not the only one bored out there...

12 comments:

Rene said...

So. Much. Stuff.
And all crammed into a tiny workspace. I could never work like that. I invented clean desk policy :P

Shauna said...

I thought MY desk is bad. jeesh.

I think it's a bit tidier than the last time I saw it (or am I just unphased by the mess?)

:)

Onestar said...

I've tried a "clean desk policy".
It lasts for about a day.
This works for me.

And, yeah, it's a bit tidier than last year's, but not much. :)

Unknown said...

Remember, "a clean desk is the sign of a boring life..." or something like that. At least that's what we people who have cluttered desks tell ourselves...haha!

Shauna said...

cluttered mind = clean desk

;)

Unknown said...

Damn, that is neat and tidy!

Anonymous said...

I looked at that and read your description ~ Add another monitor and computer and tie it in with a kvm and you've just about got my "mess". Won't be upgrading to Vista on these...they won't handle it. Put Ubuntu (edgey eft)on the T21 last month. Runs slow...(128 ram) but it runs more stable than what windows version it came with.
Can you tell I'm bored? lol

Onestar said...

Yeah, and a messy desk is the sign of a dirty mind...er, ah, wait...

:-D

I've got Dapper Drake running on a laptop of mine, and lemme tell ya, it's a dang nice OS. Ubuntu is so cool...if it gets to the point I *have* to upgrade the OS on my systems, I'll likely migrate to it.

And Squooshie, you must be bored, darlin', if you've read that whole post. :)

Anonymous said...

It does look a bit more organized, than last time. A bit...

Onestar said...

That's because I hid all the bills. :)

Anonymous said...

Different than what I'm used to but more stable. Wanted to try it on the laptop *before* I *have* to changeover. (*grumble* Ms *grumble* discontinuation of support *grumble* Vista is a HOG)
Short of going to Mac - The oldest boy would just LOVE that mind you - I'm looking for alternatives. (although what I started out with closely resembles mac but that was before pc's - CRT's and mainframes yeehaw)

Thank you sweetie! *hug* you have relieved me of some boredom.

(btw - I'm me @ yahoo if ya got any hints tips or pointers)

Anonymous said...

omg....



where

are
the
dust bunnies!!!

you killed them! ..<.<...
nice desk.
you do all this cleaning and your desk???? .. hmm. i dunno...