Friday, July 28, 2006

Life is seldom fair

I've a good friend. Everyone else in her family drinks, smokes or both, but not her. She's done a good job of taking care of herself over the years.

She's married to a great guy. They have two wonderful kids. They lead a simple life, but they are happy, and I must say, it shows.

A few months ago, she noticed something was wrong. A lump. Small little thing, but it was enough to concern her.

On Thursday, she was admitted to the hospital. She has stage four breast cancer, which has spread to her liver. The pain was too much for her to bear any longer. They've admitted her for observation.

I just finished talking to her husband on the phone. He said that everyone in her family has said "why her". I find myself asking that self-same question. Why her?

Of course, when he called to tell me about what happened, his first question was about how My Kid was doing. He knows she's got problems, and showed just how great a guy he was by checking in on The Kid before telling me about his own problem.

I've been praying for them both. I hope she pulls through.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry...my prayers and good thoughts are with them, and with you.

Shauna said...

Damn.

My thoughts are with her, her family and friends - including you.

a couple in love said...

This is heartbreaking... I'm so sorry Onie. My thoughts and prayers to her, her loved ones, I have no doubt you are part of them.

We don't understand why life is the way it is: beautiful and cruel all at the same time.

All we can do is love, love, love and give that love. Share it. Spread it.

C to the Woo! said...

Any updates, Onie?

By the way, did you notice I've got an account now...it's all your fault! lol...

Onestar said...

Alas, I have no updates for anyone about my friends. I haven't heard from him in a few days, and I've been kinda busy myself...

Lorri said...

My prayers go out to them, and to you, sweetie.

How sad, indeed.

<3