Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Recollection Phoenix: Prelude

I'm in the last two weeks of my 42nd year on this planet.

Once again, sitting in an airport, I'm waiting to fly to Phoenix. For the next two weeks, I'll be there, working, living, and adventuring. I'll be away from Julie, but the hope is that my time will go quickly. Her sister lives out there. An old friend from my DeviantArt days lives out there. My cousin is a five hour drive away.

Mostly, I'll be there to work. Make money. Earn enough to pay for the wedding and my impending bankruptcy.

Survive and hope to thrive.

I am tired. Not from the travel, but physically tired. When one only gets at best six hours (and that's being generous) of sleep, it's understandable. Hopefully, I'll nap on the flight.

Jane, my boss, has more work lined up for me. Wonderful. I dislike being out of work. I'd rather be working, feel useful, than sit around and collect unemployment. Keep me busy, keep me going.

Driving down to the airport is always a blast, especially in the hours before dawn. I'm amazed at the number of people already on the highway headed into Chicago at 5:30AM. Business never sleeps, they say, and I guess the working cogs who keep the engines of business running never stop.

I like my job, the diversity and change of locations. The road is difficult, challenging. There are days I want to have the stability of going to the same place day in and day out, but there are times I'm happy going new places and seeing new people.

My flight just arrived at the gate but I'm not scheduled to board her for another hour, at least.

There are only two weeks left in my 42nd year, and I will be spending them in Phoenix, Arizona, away from my love, my home, my heart. This is where I am supposed to be, doing what I do best. I will just do what I need to do, let the weeks fly by, and return to my love.

And be 43.

No comments: