Sunday, September 19, 2010

Choice

Please excuse me while I pull out the small soapbox. I'll try to be brief.

Those of you who know me, know I don't drink alcohol.

When I turn 43 in all of about 10 days, I can honestly say I have never had a beer, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had wine, and still have a couple fingers left over

It's a lifestyle choice I made years ago. I saw the destructive results of alcohol at a very early age and decided then and there that's not for me.

I'm not preaching abstinence nor will I propose the reinstatement of the 21st amendment (for those of you outside the US, it was an amendment to the Constitution making the sale of alcohol illegal). If you like to drink, I will never stop you.

I have no problem with folks who like to drink, whether it be the occasional glass of wine with dinner (I've heard it can compliment a meal quite well), or someone who likes to go out and “party down”. As long as you're safe, you know your limits, and that's how you choose to enjoy yourself, go for it.

And to the alcoholic or two out there who might chance to read this, well, just understand that you might be a fine person, but that doesn't mean I wanna hang out with you. It's nothing personal. I've known an alcoholic or two in my life...even have one in my family. I have little, if anything, in common with alcoholics and because of that, I really don't enjoy spending time with them.

It is said that the best way to enjoy life is through moderation. Mind you, given the way I eat sometimes, you'd think the term “moderation” means double the portions. That's not always true, and I am trying to change my eating habits (being on the road doesn't help), but I digress. Drinking in moderation is a fine choice, but being drunk all weekend long, or 24/7? I just don't get it, and I probably never will.

Does this make me a dull person? In your eyes, probably. Hell, I'm the first to admit, I'm a quiet kinda guy. I like the quiet life, and by quiet, I mean I don't like to spend my nights closing down bar after bar. Believe it or not, I have been at bars at closing time with said alcoholics, and it's not much fun if you ain't drinking along with them.

If you don't like the fact that I don't drink, or can't understand why someone wouldn't want to drink, and don't like me for that sole reason, then I'm sorry. That's your limitation, not mine. If you feel that I've “converted” others to not drinking, believe me, I have never, nor will I ever, force my beliefs on someone else. That's not me. If you have a problem with me, who I am or the way I live my life, then take it up with me and not with anyone whom I love or care for. Your beef's with me. Leave the ones I love out of it.

All I'm trying to say is...we all make choices in life. I made mine years ago, and I don't regret a single one. I decided what's best for me. Respect my choice. Don't hold it against anyone else. Figure out what you want out of life and go for it, and don't let anyone make that decision for you. Find what makes you happy.

I thank you for your time.

No comments: