Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Recollection Phoenix: II

I've been in Phoenix for a week as of tonight. What do I have to show for it?

Well...

Friday after work was finished for the day, before headed over to the hotel work put me up in for the weekend, I walked about two blocks back to the Arizona Science Museum.

One thing I noted was that I didn't see too many people walking downtown. This is quite a different experience for me. Despite my...weight, I love to walk. It's the simplest thing I can do, and often, quite enjoyable.

Not in 110 degree heat.

After seeing the science museum, and walking back to get my car, I stopped at a Fry's Electronics, my version of Mecca. If you haven't been to Fry's, and are a geek of any sort, and there's one within 50 miles of you, GO! Don't hesitate, get in the car and drive. Think Best Buy, a toy and office supply store on steroids. Throw in a cafe and you've got this geek's idea of Heaven...or Hell, if you're broke.

Making my way to the hotel, I checked in. They've put me up for the weekends in a ExtendedStay America. It's a nice enough place, but after staying in my "work" hotels, it can be a bit of a letdown. Better than a Motel6, with a full kitchen (no oven but a dishwasher), a decent bed and a couch. Speaking of the couch...

...I spent most of Friday and part of Saturday lying on said couch. The heat got to me, and I was sick. My body doesn't like the heat, and when I'm first exposed to hotter weather than what I'd been used to, I get sick. I've gotten used to it, and it didn't come as a surprise. Did spoil a plan or two I had for those two days, but I was in no shape to visit or go anywhere.

I ventured out late Friday to get provisions, but only across the street to Target.

Sunday was a little better, but with nothing to do, I stayed in the hotel most of the weekend.

Monday meant back to work, but after work, I went over and spent the afternoon with Julie's sister, Kim. She's cool. We had dinner (Julie insisted I get at least one home cooked meal while I'm away...she loves me), sat around, bullshitted, before I returned to the hotel for the night.

Tuesday was Julie's birthday. Sigh. I was upset that I wasn't there for it, but we both knew it would be this way. I made arrangements to have her birthday present, a dozen roses with yellow daisies intermixed, there for her before I left, and they gave it to her during the weekend. She got close to 80 birthday wishes on Facebook. Good for her. Just means she's really loved.

It's now Wednesday. I've left one hotel and went to another, and another stop at another Fry's. Phoenix is lucky: They're blessed with three locations. I just love to wander through there and drool over the toys, tools and equipment. I did linger a little longer in the motherboards aisle. I miss working inside the computer, replacing and upgrading the parts. It's been too long since I've worked inside one. My main PC, my desktop, sits unplugged at home. There's no room in the house for an office for me, so it sits and waits. I'd love to upgrade her, new motherboard, memory, et al, but that'll have to wait.

Priorities.

One more week here in Phoenix, before I return home to my true love. There's a couple places I do want to see before I leave here, and hopefully, take some pics. My poor camera hasn't gotten nearly the use it should.

No comments: