Thursday, September 16, 2010

Recollection Phoenix: I

For those curious, the title of this series is taken from one of my favourite Willie Nelson songs.


Now then...

First, if you weren't aware, Phoenix, Arizona is in the middle of the desert. This means that it is hot. Wait. That deserves emphasis. It is HOT! I cannot emphasize this point enough.

Today, the high temperature reached 106. It's not supposed to dip below triple digits until next weekend, according to the forecasters, although it should already be cooling off by this point of September.

I think they kept the oven on too long with the back door open, but that's just me.

Click for Phoenix, Arizona Forecast

I arrived at Sky Harbor yesterday afternoon around lunchtime, even though my body and my stomach thought it was closer to dinner. I'd had a croissant and scone on the airplane (that cost me about as much as a regular meal, thanks to inflated airport costs), so I wasn't hungry and could go straight to the hotel and to work. To do that, however, I had to go get my rental car.

And what a rental I got this time. Dodge Charger. Fire engine red. It looks like it's moving even when its sitting still. Amazing car...Julie is so jealous, and I get to use the car for the next two weeks.

First property I visit, naturally, is only about 10 miles from the airport, so I can't unleash the beast just yet. The hotel is right in the heart of downtown, about a block from Chase Field and the convention center. Very nice place.

I do what I need to do for work, which takes all about an hour, and do the other stuff I need to do before calling it a work-day.

Decided I wanted pizza, but wasn't sure where to go and didn't feel like driving right then and there. The in-room menu listed a pizza place that delivered, so I gave them a call. After being put on hold for two minutes, my stomach wasn't very happy about waiting, and I hung up. Got the car keys and headed out into unfamiliar territory.

Let me say this: The Dodge Charger has power to spare.

Set my GPS to find the closest Target, the logic being where there's a Target, there's restaurants. After driving for a bit, found the place and started to look for food. This leads me to Zipps.

For being a non-drinker, I'm very at home at sports bar/restaurants. My years of eating at Primanti's is probably responsible for that, and this place had some excellent food, great atmosphere and wide-screen TVs with more sports than you probably care to watch. Naturally, I brought my Nook and read the whole time.

Came back to the hotel and watched a bit of the finals of America's Got Talent before going to bed at 8:30. I figure, relatively speaking, I was up since 2AM. You could say I was tired.

Work was work on Thursday, but after work, I went out for a walk.

First thing I noticed is that there weren't too many people out walking the streets of Phoenix. This shouldn't come as a surprise since it was, as I mentioned before, HOT!

Walked over to Chase Field, home to the Arizona Diamondbacks, who naturally are in Cincinnati this week. That's the way it works, y'know. I also walked over past the Arizona Science Museum and went in its gift shop to buy batteries for my dead camera. They were closing in 20 minutes, so I couldn't explore, but as Julie did say, I will be here for two weeks. I can pace myself.

No comments: