Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ponderings.

Back home again...

This past week has been so...busy. What was supposed to be a long weekend with my love went longer than I originally intended, but it was all right. Even if it wasn't the best of circumstances, I got to spend more time with her. I'm just glad I was there to be with her.

The funeral was simple but nice. I got a chance to meet the rest of her family, spend some time with them. Of course, I didn't have my suit with me, so I had to get one...so now I have three suits.

S'all right. I look good in a suit.

My love, if you didn't hear, is a huge NASCAR fan. She loves Dale Earnhardt, Jr more than she loves me (sigh), and my original plan was to stay at her place until Tuesday, go with her to her girlfriend's place after she got off work, crash with them for the night and then take off the next day.

Well, we didn't get to leave for Joliet until late Thursday, so I figured I'd stay until Friday. Julie told me before that there was more going on than just a race, that it was a big ol' party, so I figured I'd tag along, see what I can see.

Long story short: Julie's girlfriend's father works there. She got me one of his tickets. I was able to go to the race on Friday.

Now, please understand, when it comes to racing, I understand about as much as a rock understands nuclear physics. I've watched races with Julie before (when I'm not napping), so I understand some of what's going on, but for the most part, I wasn't prepared for the race.

Specifically, the noise. Those sonofabitches are LOUD! Ye gods. We went into the stand for the preliminaries and some practice laps, and I damn near went deaf. Seriously. After about a half-hour or so of sitting there, when we went back out front, I could not hear for about 10 minutes.

Scared the shit out of me. Thank God vendors out there were selling ear plugs. If they weren't, I don't think I could've gone back in for the race itself.

Speaking of the race...

Forgive me, my love, but I wasn't all that impressed. It was, well, dull.

No major crashes. No excitement. No drama. No tension. Just guys driving around a track for a couple hours.

I suppose it's because I was watching the "minor league" racers (if there is such a thing...and if I'm wrong, sweetie, please let me know), but it didn't impress me all that much.

I'll try it again. It's what my lady loves, so I'm willing to give it another shot, and with any luck, it'll capture my attention better.

All I'll say is this. Next time, I'm going to use more suntan lotion on more places. I understand where the term "red neck" comes from now...

3 comments:

loveno88 said...

Speachless....Im speachless.

Cami said...

Ugh. Racing. Glad you survived it with hearing intact.

uwseob!

Rene said...

You know what would be funny: one driver going around the track against traffic, that would create some serious excitement LOL