Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Dark Night

Greetings from Dekalb!

I decided, pretty much at the last minute, to come out and spend the weekend with Julie and the kids. If you saw her blog, then you know what this weekend is and what it means to her. I wanted to be here for her, so I got in the car Thursday morning, bright and early, and made the trip.

And if you did read her blog, yes, it's true. We went to bed at 6:30 in the evening, fell asleep, and didn't get up until 6:30 the next morning. 12 hours of sleep. We were both just a little tired. ;)

Of course, the trip out this time was a little more interesting than the others. I was in the middle of Indiana, following a semi in the left lane, passing other semis, when one of his rear tires blew out!

It was scary, unable to move to the right lane, rubber flying off from the truck in front of me. Thankfully, the truck kept control and was able to pull over to the right lane shortly. I passed him and got the hell out of the way...that was not fun.

This trip has been great. Julie needed some new outfits, so we went shopping for clothes. Although she thinks my tastes suck, I (most of the time) like to tease her by pulling out the ugliest, loudest outfits I could find and say "honey, what do you think of this?". She just rolls her eyes at me, but occasionally, I do find something that looks cute, and she likes.

For those that know me, you know I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy...but when the need arises, I clean up well and I do have excellent taste in clothing.

Well, most of the time.

On occasion, I come up with a fashion faux pas. ;)

Friday night, we went to see The Dark Knight. Oh. My. God.
It's simply the best comic book movie I've seen. Period. It's intense. My heart was racing the whole second half of the movie (and, forgive me my love, not just from Julie sitting next to me). Heath Ledger's intrepertation of the Joker was simply amazing. He's anarchy personified, less a man and more a sheer force of chaos. He wants nothing more than to cause chaos...proving the perfect foil to Batman.

I was amazed...impressed to no end. It's just the best.

Friday, Julie drove. Saturday and today, I've been driving, which I think Julie's not used to. She seemed a little nervous sitting in the passenger seat of my ol' Saturn, but I think she liked having someone drive her around.

Today would have been her nephew's birthday. I wanted to be here with her for it. I'll be here another day, come home, spend the next three days madly cleaning my house, and get ready for her to come to Pittsburgh later this week...

And yeah, I'm smiling.

4 comments:

Shauna said...

agreed on the movie

enjoy your time

Rene said...

It is very sweet of you to be there for Julie this weekend *nods*

I am glad Maniac already saw The Dark Knight, so now I don't have to ... I'm sure we'll end up owning it on DVD, so maybe then I will check it out.

And don't forget to mow the lawn before Julie is in the Burgh :D

Lorri said...

It's nice you had a good time!

I had a nice weekend, too. Friday was my birthday, and Jim and I got up early, drove to the Smokey Mountains, took out a marriage license in Sevierville, TN, and 20 minutes later we were married in a small chapel.

It was an awesome way to spend my birthday, and a fantastic way to get married...no fuss, no frills, no big ado, just the two of us, getting marrried, the most important thing of all.

Lorri said...

I'm sure Julie appreciated you being there for her.. You are a sweetie.

Hugs