Thursday, May 31, 2007

The difference between "refurbished" and "pre-owned"

Don Quixote is tilting at windmills again...

Okay, so here's the deal. Awhile back, I bought an XM Satellite radio. It was a good deal, and there was a $50 rebate.

Now this was a refurbished radio. Let me state that clearly and up front, but when I checked the fine print for the rebate, it didn't indicate word one about "refurbished" models. Pre-owned models weren't eligible, but the last time I checked, when something was sent back to the manufacturer and repaired, while it can't be sold as new, they do have to indicate it was refurbished.

Refurbished and pre-owned are two different things in my book.

Here's the best way I can describe it. I bought a radio new. It was DOA, so I have to send it back to get it repaired. It's easier for them to send me a new model, so they send me a new one, keep the defective one and ship me a new model. They fix the broken one and proceed to sell it, but it's not new. It's refurbished. That doesn't mean someone else owned it. The manufacturer had a defective unit replaced and are selling it again.

That's refurbished. Pre-owned is something different. Pre-owned means it's in working condition. It's fine. Might have a dent in the fender, but it still works. I either sell it to you or to someone else, who turns around and re-sells it. That's pre-owned. It was in good working condition and they're selling it again because they can't use it or they're trying to turn a profit or something like that.

I feel I'm getting screwed here out of my $50. This unit was sold refurbished. I know it's not "new", but you cannot tell me that a refurbished unit can be considered "pre-owned". It doesn't work that way.

Mind you, I've still got to call the company I bought it from because the battery in the radio can't hold a charge of more than 30 minutes off the base. I don't care if it's new, used, refurbished or whatever, that's just wrong.

I ain't happy, kids. I'm being bent over and reamed...

4 comments:

Rene said...

You gotta love consumer goods quality these days, coupled with outstanding customer service ... yes, you are being bent over and reamed and it's sad that you have to be a f***ing lawyer these days to understand the fine print.
Might want to start an online petition to complain about the XM radio and their fine print; if 1000s of people have the same complaint, you might find that they are much more willing to listen!

ProsePetals said...

Meh...

...suckish is the word that comes to mind...

...and jctzrsz is the word that allows me to share the word that comes to mind.

*hug*

Sterl said...

Yeah, I'm with you as far as refurbished and pre-owned. In fact, my laptop is a refurbished machine and treated as new, just cheaper. Keep us updated about the XM situation and of course, how you're doing well overall, my dear friend.

Squooshiewoodums said...

Refurbished = to make new or as if new again
preowned = previously owned or used.

There is a difference in the definitions how could they be interpreted as the same? Yes, you are being bent over. Good luck!