Thursday, April 16, 2009

How "egg"citing!

Here's a bit of trivia you might not know about me: I hate eggs.

Now, if they're in something, where I don't have to see, smell or taste them, I'm fine with it. In cakes, cookies, desserts of many kinds, I don't mind in the least. French Toast? Love it!

But by themselves?

They make me wanna gag. Julie once asked me what I hate about them, and it's simple: The taste, the after taste, the texture, the smell...

Pretty much everything there is about an egg disgusts me.

Having said that...



Julie's working early morning shifts at Schnuck's this week. She's learning bookkeeping, which I think is wonderful. It shows they like her, trust her, and think she's doing a wonderful job, going from starting as a cashier five months ago, working in the Deli and adding "on sale" tags to the shelves, she's learning so many facets of the store.

I keep telling her, they're lining her up for an assistant manager position. She doesn't want it, though. She's as humble as I am at times.

It's not easy, however. Because she's learning how to open, she's got to be there early. The store doesn't open until 6AM, and she's been there between 5 and 5:15 all week.

Since I'm haven't been doing anything productive with my time (applying and being rejected for jobs on a daily basis), I've been brining her lunch on her breaks. Everything from homemade PB&J to going to one of DeKalb's glorious fast-food places has been on "the menu".

She's been taking her break around 9 in the morning, so this week, it's been more of a breakfast break. Mickey D's was Monday, and I bought some frozen things I could microwave for her for the rest of the week.

Still...

Lemme flash back really quick: Julie was over Saturday night, watching a movie with me and making cheesecakes. She makes incredible cheesecake: Don't let her tell you different. Since she made the cheesecakes here, she left behind a carton of eggs...

You no doubt see where this is going, don't you?

I decided to make her some scrambled egg sammiches for breakfast on Tuesday, but I had no idea how to cook eggs.

I did a little Googling, found a couple recipes, watched a video or two, and felt confident that I could make something...edible.

They weren't perfect, by any means. A little too much butter in the pan, maybe a bit too much milk, and they could've been cooked longer. She likes her eggs well cooked. But for a first attempt? Not too bad.

Mind you, she thought it was funny I had to look up the instructions how to make eggs, and her kids thought it was funny. It's like I tried to explain: I don't like eggs, so why would I make 'em?

But I love Julie, so...

I'll try again and see how it goes. Hopefully, they'll be a bit better.

6 comments:

Denise said...

*laughing* good stuff...

Rene said...

Yikes, basics man, basics *LOL*

loveno88 said...

Round 2 was like 10x better. Thank you for serving me breakfast at work all week, honey. I love you.

Jess & Hailey both said they would help you on your next egg-venture.

LorMil said...

LOL!

Shauna said...

Does she like pancakes? waffles?

Cami said...

Love it!

madess!