Thursday, June 14, 2007

And the search continues...

Sigh. I have issues. Many issues.

Today, we focus on two of them, since they're connected at this moment: My love of older music, and my unwillingness to accept digital downloads.

Over the past year or so, I've been searching for a certain album by Ivory Joe Hunter. I do realize right now a number of you are shaking your collective heads and saying "who?", because he hasn't really been active since before most of us were born.

Since I Met You Baby: The Best of Ivory Joe Hunter has some of his best songs. The title track. Empty Arms (I simply love that song). Rockin' Chair Boogie. A Tear Fell. Some of the best songs done by a man with one of the best voices, ever.

Sigh.

And the damn CD is out of print. Only a few places have it, and they want far, far too much for it.

Which leads me to the second part of the problem.

I could download most of the tracks from...shudder...iTunes, which I refuse.

Recently, The New York Times posted an article about the quality of MP3 audio. It's common knowledge that, when you take a song and compress it to MP3, you lose something. For the most part, when you're listening to compressed music through headphones, most people cannot tell the difference.

I can, and it frustrates the crap out of me. I know something's wrong, something's different, and it takes away from the moment, the experience.

That's why I still buy CDs. That's why, although I do have my music ripped to MP3 on an external hard drive at work, they're ripped with the highest bitrate MP3 has. And that's why I won't buy from iTunes.

So the search continues. With each passing year, however, it gets harder and harder to find some of the older music from talents forgotten today. Such wonderful music...lost...

It's enough to break my heart.

10 comments:

orion.sx said...

I can never tell the difference between compressed, CD, and whatnot unless there is an obvious low bitrate. Never bothered me as long as it still sounded good without any weird pops or "damages" to the audio (IE missing a second or two).

Maybe I'm just deaf, who knows. lol

Onestar said...

I doubt you're deaf, m'friend.
Most folks can't hear the difference in standard equipment.

But...get better hardware, a REALLY good set of speakers, and the differences...are amazing.

Foodie said...

Same for me... but *once* I was able to tell the difference between MP3 and WMA LOL

orion.sx said...

I do have a these things on my desktop computer, Logitech Z5500 Digital Speakers. I've heard they aren't the best but they put out some awesome audio for me.
With these can I tell the difference a bit better between say like.. 128 vs 320 AAC, but it is so minimal and I really gotta be focusing on it. I think it is a placebo effect though for me most times when I think I hear the difference.

Mrs. Hillis said...

I for one am actually grateful I cannot discern between compressed music and whatever else is played. I love music, and music that sounds good to me sometimes drives my husband crazy (as he worked in radio for years). Even when we watch TV, he will talk about the "woofers" not working the way they should. Whatever (lol). I try to empathize, but I'm thinking, "honey, it sounds fine. Just watch the movie."

ProsePetals said...

Hmmm...the only CD I've ever hunted for because I have been to lazy to try to download the MP3s...*sigh*...I want the CD. *stomps foot* And it being out of print is frustrating. I wonder though if I can find it now another way...thanks for reminding me of that.

This comment brought to you by mhham...yeah I feel that way sometimes when indulging in a chip'am'sammich...*giggle*

Kate said...

Hey Eric,

i was just thinking, I could look over here for it? it's possible it might be here or something?

Just thinking

Rene said...

I'm pretty sure I left a comment here ...
Have you tried www.gemm.com? (I'm sure you did.)

Onestar said...

Check out the latest post, kids... ;)

Lorri said...

Give me a CD, any day! W00t!