Sunday, August 02, 2009

If you Google'd "Bing" and this came up, I'm sorry.

Due to popular request, the plans to cancel July have been postponed.

Okay, so you might've noticed my Facebook status from the other day was "just tried bing cherry iced tea. It's damn good!".

Before you go out to your local grocer to find this particular beverage, let me warn you: You ain't gonna find it, at least not easily.

A few months back, Julie and I took a trip to St. Charles, Illinois. It's not that far from here, about a half-hour or so east of here. There's some cute little antique shops she wanted to see, and (this may surprise you) I do enjoy antiquing every now and then.

One such little "antique mall" had a "store" called the Coffee Drop Shop. It's a mom-and-pop place that has pretty much anything and everything you'd want, provided you're looking for coffee or tea stuffs.

They must've had close to 100 different varieties of loose tea. I always loved tea, but it wasn't until D hooked me up with some loose tea years ago, I always stuck with the store-bought, pre-bagged variety. I limited myself, but no longer.

Among the teas they had, besides the standard orange pekoe, chai and Prince of Wales variety was Russian Caravan (very strong, but I love the flavor), Vietnamese (also strong, but I've yet to try it, as I prefer such teas in Winter), Root Beer Float (yes!) and Bing Cherry.

Bought a couple little bags of the last few I'd mentioned and brought them home, tossed 'em into the cupboard and forgot about them.

The other night, I was thirsty for some tea, and remembered the flavored teas I'd bought before. The clerk suggested I try the Root Beer Float over ice. I put the pot of water on, added a teaspoon to my teaball (some might call it an infuser, but it's my teaball), and let it steep before pouring it into the glass with ice.

The aroma was subtle, as was the taste, but as it cooled, the root beer flavor was definitely there! I gave some to Julie's friend Kathy (who hates Root Beer) and after she tried it, she said she'd found "a root beer she could drink".

Yesterday was the Bing Cherry test. Same procedure, different tea.

I've a glass of it in front of me, and let me tell you, it's got a great cherry aroma and taste!

I'd offer you some, but they've yet to perfect sending liquids over IP. Still, if you find yourself at some little mom-and-pop tea shop, and you see it, give it a try. You never know what you'll find.

4 comments:

Rene said...

Bing!

Eric S. said...

Bing. That was evil, leaving that link there. ;)

Rene said...

*LOL* Couldn't resist ;-)

Shauna said...

Sounds good. and for the record, I <3 Microsoft since I AM using a PC. :)