Sunday, June 21, 2009

In an alternate reality, I spent another quiet, dull, boring evening at home, surfing the web and flipping channels on the television.

You're familiar with the concept of alternate realities, aren't you? It's simple. Picture yourself standing on a corner, and you have to choose to go either left or right. You choose to go left, and your life goes that direction. Yet, some believe that in another dimension, quite like our own, you turned right, and your life took a completely different path.

I'm sure there's some alternate reality where I didn't get fired from CMU, where I never met Julie, and right now, I'm sitting at home back in Pittsburgh, bored out of my wits.

Boy, I'm sure glad I'm not that version of me. He missed out on a great day.

Julie had to work this morning, and on her break, we talked about taking the train into Chicago to go to the Field Museum after she got off work. That plan fell through: By the time she got off work, it'd be too late. We'd only get to spend about a half-hour in the museum, and that's nowhere near enough time.

Our friend Kathy was in town, up from Joliet, so we decided to take her car and go for a drive. We didn't have a destination in mind at the start, it was going to be just a "pick a direction and let's go for it" kinda deal.

Before we could decide, though, Kathy remembered reading about a hot air balloon rally up in Monroe, Wisconsin. I checked the map...it'd take about an hour and a half to get there, but it sounded fun. The decision was made. We left for Monroe!

And it was great.

We got there a little early, stopped in a couple grocery stores to get some stuff for snacking and sammiches, and then headed to the fairgrounds.

The show was free, and all they asked was $3 for parking. Nothing...and I mean nothing...can beat a low budget adventure.

We sat in the grandstand, ate, talked and waited. Around 6, they started to get the balloons ready. It's so cool, watching them inflate. So simple...so elegant.

Two events were planned for the night. The first was a Hare and Hound: One balloon would take off first and only after it was up could the others inflate to chase the "hare". The lead balloon would find an open field, drop the marker, and the others would see how close they could land near it.

The second, later that evening, after sunset, was a Balloon Glow. Each of the balloons, after they returned to the field, would inflate and stay tethered to the ground, but use their burners to make the balloons glow.

To say that their glow is beautiful is an understatement. It was majestic. Subtle and yet striking.

I took many photos...no worries, the good ones will be posted soon.

We all agreed, on the ride home, that it was an amazing day. It was unplanned...spontaneous...and wonderful. We all need days like these. They recharge and remind us just how wonderful the simple things in life can be.

But now...it's late, and I'm tired. Goodnight world. May your dreams be as beautiful as the glow of a hot air balloon after sundown.

4 comments:

loveno88 said...

My day couldnt have been more perfect. Thank you and Kath for being able to share it with me.

Im sure my favorite photo will end up in a frame somewhere, right honey??

I love you...

Rene said...

Cool beans. Hot air balloons are pretty nifty, I can say from experience and I would love to see a ballon rally, especially at sunset. So, I can't wait for your pictures, I'll be keeping my eye on Flickr on Father's Day :P

Denise said...

Sounds like a terrific day. :)

Dean Koontz has a book about those alternate realities. Can't remember which one right the moment.

Shauna said...

Sounds like fun.