Friday, June 12, 2009

I am just a fan

There's a game tonight.

As I type this, in about two and a half hours, Game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs will be held in Detroit, between the Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Being a native Pittsburgher, and a fan of the aforementioned flightless water foul, I'll be rooting for "my" team to win. I've even put on my Pens jersey in support, although I am well aware it'll have no bearing on the outcome.

I'm a fan. When it comes to sports, I'm not a rabid, dyed-in-the-wool, diehard, live for my team kinda guy. If the game's on, I'll watch it. When I was living in Pittsburgh, and there was nothing better to do and nothing better on worth watching, sure, the game would be on my television. If I had a few spare bucks (I vaguely remember those days), I'd even go down and watch a game live. Hockey tickets aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, even the nosebleed seats. That's why I'd go to more baseball games: I could see three or four games at the park for the price of one hockey game in the igloo.

Still, it tickles me to listen to fans who say "we won". Really? You helped your team to victory. You were out there, on the ice, on the field, sweating and giving your all to help hit the game winning run or goal or whatever? You were in the locker room, on the bench, training day after day after day to keep yourself in top physical shape so you could win?

No. All you did was sit on your ass in front of a television or listen to it on the radio or plop down in some sports bar with all the other drooling, drunken idiots and yell and scream and second guess the coaches. You wore your t-shirt or jersey or whatever and considered yourself a member of the team.

You sat there and cheered them on until they made one tiny mistake. A missed play. A dropped ball. A lost game. Then you came out and cursed them and swore you'd never watch them again and how could they be so stupid as to miss that? He was wide open? How could be drop that ball or let the puck go between his legs like that? What's the forecast in your fair-weathered world? Partly cloudy with a chance of whining?

Let me tell it to you straight, sparky, you ain't on the team.

You couldn't do any better. Sure, when you were a kid, you could run or play stickball or throw pretty well. Yeah, you might still be in decent enough shape, but those men (and women) out there are athletes. They've devoted their lives to what they do, and they're the ones out there playing the game!

I have no illusions about myself. I'm 41 years old. I am nowhere near in the shape required to play sports, professional or otherwise. I'm an observer, a watcher, living some voyeuristic thrill or seeing grown-ups playing a game and getting paid for it. Do I support them? Hell, yeah! They've proven they belong there, that they've got the athletic ability, drive and desire. They are on the team, sparky, not you.

It annoys me when I hear people say "we won". You didn't win. You cheered them on, you supported them, but you didn't help them win. They won. The team won. Say "they won" or "the team won", but not you. You didn't do a damn thing but watch.

Tonight, I have my Pens jersey on. Whether they win or lose tonight, my wearing their colors 300+ miles away won't have any impact on that. Should they win, I'll applaud their efforts. I'll smile. I'll say "they won", but I'll have no illusions that whatever I say or do had anything to do with it.

It's just a game. It's not your life. Watch it. Enjoy the moment. Move on.

4 comments:

Rene said...

At least ice hockey is more entertaining than baseball :P
Go Penguins!

Denise said...

*highfive* Keep slamming "Sparky", amigo...the "WE" fans drive me nuts. (Then again, so do the multi-million dollar contracts...)

I don't get into any sport on TV - I get tired after 5 minutes of pretty much any version of ESPN and any game, unless I'm there live...with a few exceptions (playoffs being one example). I will never fully understand people who watch nothing but ESPN on TV...to the point that hardcore hockey/football fans will "settle for" golf/tennis if "their" game isn't on. The mentality is just beyond me.

That said, I *like* the Penguins...though I'm not a fan of all the Pittsburgh teams. I think the Pirates' managers, for instance, need to spend a bit more money and take a few more risks - the Pirates are a good team, but they seem to AIM to lose when they play (reminds me of Washington teams, actually). The Steelers? Sir Eric, I know you're not a football fan, but I will admit that I like the Steelers. I'm less interested now that Cowher's no longer manager (he made watching the sidelines interesting and fun) - and now that "The Bus" is retired. I admire the hell out of Jerome Bettis. I think Roethlisberger has proven himself worthy of being considered beyond a rookie anymore, but still, he's just not as interesting to me as...say...Brett Favre...but then, I don't watch the Packers for much else...and if Favre "really retired", then I've less interest in football than I ever have in my life. *evil grin* Yeah, I'd still drink that man's bath water...LOL!

But yeah, back to point, I'm with you on this subject. And Steelers FANS are among the worst for the "WE" behavior...worse, even, than Cubbies fans (and as a baseball man, you KNOW what that means...Cubs' fans are SCARY). Wearing a jersey is a show of support for your preferred team, whether they win or lose...and true die-hard fans don't CARE if their team loses. *nod*

*chuckle* Word verification: grubcons...fitting, I think.

loveno88 said...

As Eric's eyes pop out of his eyes....I may blog about this very subject.

Thanks, honey for giving me an avenue to vent about Brad!

Shauna said...

You mean it's just a game? ;)