Sunday, February 08, 2009

Sunday evening musings

For some reason, I'm compelled to tell you, gentle reader, that I'm writing this over at Julie's place, using her laptop. Doesn't matter much...but it makes me think I'm some sort of correspondent reporting from another country or something.

My love is sitting across from me, picking at tags. She bought a Chinese Take-Out style carton filled with little word tags the other day, and she's going through it, looking for words for some reason or another.

We'd been frequenting hobby stores the past few weeks, getting things together for Jessica's baby shower. So many things, from the invitations to the gift packages to the thank you cards, are all handmade. I've been genuinely impressed with the level of creativity they've put into this...it's very impressive, but the stress of planning and preparing for this shower has been getting to Julie.

Right now, there's over 70 confirmed people coming. It's going to be fucking huge, and it's in less than two weeks.

Her back's killing her, and I'm pretty sure it's from stress about the party. I'm doing everything I can to help, whether it be creative or supportive or just running around.

Not working isn't helping. I decided...I'm not talking about that anymore here. When I get a job, I will tell you, but until then, the only people who'll know about my job search will be me and her. Forgive me for not posting details, but after the last couple near misses...I'm becoming superstitious. I'm not gonna jinx myself. I'm not saying anything until I spend my first day at work...maybe after my first week.

I promise I'll tell y'all after the fact, but that's about it.

It was nice out here this weekend. Temperatures were above freezing (way above), and the snow's quickly disappearing. Julie and I took a little road trip down to St. Charles yesterday, looking for things for the party, and it was nice to get on the road.

We're driving around, and she tells me to keep my eyes open for hobby, arts and crafts stores, scrapbooking stores, and a place called Hobbity Lobbity. I'm looking at all the stores, scanning everything, not seeing it when she screams "HOBBITY LOBBITY!"

I'm looking, but I ain't seeing.

A quick lane change and turn into a shopping center later, and I see...Hobby Lobby. I point this out to my love, and she insists it's "Hobbity Lobbity".

...

Being from Pennsylvania, I understand adding a consonant or two to a word. Given that we have such wonderful words like "Allegheny", "Monongahela" and "Connequessing" in our vocabulary, it's understandable that extra syllables just magically appear in our words.

HOWEVER...

We don't add "ity" to our words at random.

I love this woman with all my heart, but there are moments when I have a very hard time trying to understand her...

5 comments:

Shauna said...

ha

havin' trouble with those words n'at?

Rene said...

If that's the worst then she ain't half bad, you know ;-)

Eric S. said...

I frequently have problems with words, Shauna. To think I considered being a writer at one time...

And yeah, Rene. You said it. This was a joke between us that I hadda share...

Denise said...

Okily dokily...*lol*

Eric S. said...

Ya ain't helpin' me here, Denise... LOL