Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The influence of music on a life: My top ten records.

There's been a meme that's been floating around Facebook the past few days about the ten most influential records in your life. Denise and Rene did it, and both of them "tagged" me to get my list.

If only it were that simple.

See, for me, it's been hard to find 10 albums. Now 10 songs, that's MUCH easier. I rarely buy whole albums, preferring to stick with "greatest hits" compilations. That way, I get the songs I like and not the "filler", although I know most artists wouldn't consider songs they've created "filler".

If it's someone I like, someone whose "greatest hits" really touched me, then I'd go out and start finding albums, collecting their works. For the most part, however, I'm more about the song and less about the collection.

That's why some of the "albums" on this list were bought for one specific song. Others are greatest hits collections. Still, these are the tunes that influenced me, one way or another.

Here's my list:



Johnny Horton: The Spectacular Johnny Horton

Johnny Horton made this list less about the album, but more about the first song: Battle of New Orleans.
There was something about this song that I loved. I have memories of me, barely 5 or 6 years old, playing this song over and over and over again. I swear, I'd play that one track 20 times before my mother would tell me to play something else. To this day, if I hear that song (which doesn't have too often), I still smile.


Bill Cosby: Revenge

Johnny Horton's album got overplayed for just one song. Bill Cosby's Revenge was worn out from playing the whole thing over and over and over. I would listen and laugh every time I heard it. It's likely this album is to blame for my love of comedy and spoken word recordings. It came out on CD a few years back, and believe me, I bought it the first day of release.

When I was cleaning out my house back in Pittsburgh, I found the original LP again, thought lost for the past 30 years. It was one of the happiest moments I had during a bittersweet "purging". When I finally get my turntable (and I will, mark my words), this record will be played, bumps, hisses and all...and loved.


Glenn Miller: The Unforgettable Glenn Miller and His Orchestra.

This was the first CD I ever purchased. Yeah, I'm sure that just shocked the crap out of you. The middle of the 80's, the so-called "second wave" of rock, and the first thing I'd grab is something that was popular 40 years before?

If you know me, that should make perfect sense.

I love big band music, and Glenn Miller in particular. (To this day, I list The Glenn Miller Story, starring Jimmy Stewart, as one of my favourite films). There's something so gentle, so romantic and beautiful, about the first few strands of Moonlight Serenade that when I hear it, I can't help but smile.

And yes, I still own this CD.


Andre Rieu: Live in Dublin

This was the first record of Andre Rieu's that I bought, the one that introduced me to his style, and rekindled my love for Strauss waltzes. Once again, bittersweet memories are tied into this record, since it was also one My Kid loves. Listening to it reminds me of good times...and makes me want to dance.


Earl Klugh: The Best of Earl Klugh, Vol. 2

Once again, this is all about one song: Goodtime Charlie's Got the Blues. My favourite song, ever. It centers me. It calms and relaxes me. I will listen to it whenever things get to be too much, and whatever problems I have, fade away. Such is the power of Earl Klugh's guitar.


Billy Joel: An Innocent Man

I know it's not one of his "classic" albums, like Glass Houses or The Stranger (both of which I love), but the songs on this, I just loved. I had this on an LP, until my mother broke it in half in a fit of anger. It was my fault, though: I had failed a couple classes and hid the report card from her. C'est la vie...


Jimmy Buffett: Songs You Know By Heart

I think it's safe to say everyone's heard of Jimmy Buffett's song "Margaritaville". I knew it, but it wasn't until I heard this album that I began to understand the depth of his talent and musical genius. I became a Parrothead that day, and I haven't looked back. Ask Julie, she'll tell you. I usually have Radio Margaritaville on the radio all the time.

Warren Zevon: Genius

I blame Shauna for my love of Zevon. Sure, I'd heard Werewolves of London before, and liked it, but it wasn't until she introduced me to songs like Hasten Down the Wind, Carmelita and Lawyers, Guns and Money that I really understood. His music helped me through some...rough times in my life. The interesting thing, to me at least, was that his music, while sometimes dark and morose, were actually love songs. Guess there is beauty in everything, if you're willing to look for it.


Francis Albert Sinatra: Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits, Vol. II

Once again, I bought this album for just one song. Even in this day and age of digital downloads, iTunes and their crappy compressed media, I would buy this whole album (on CD) for just one song.

Cycles.

I forget when I first heard it, but as soon as I heard it, it stuck with me. The story of a man who's down on his luck but somehow manages to stay upbeat because he knows things happen in cycles: First there's laughter, then those tears.

Yes, the record does have My Way, one of Frank's defining themes (and the song I've long said I wanted played at my funeral), but Cycles was the reason why I bought that record, and it still makes me smile...and always will.


Jackson Browne: The Pretender

Last but certainly not least is this offering from Jackson Browne. There are so many great tunes of his on there (Your Bright Baby Blues, Linda Paloma and Here Comes Those Tears Again), but most importantly is the last track, the title track, The Pretender.

When I first heard it, I knew that was my theme song. Even though I was a kid, still growing up, I knew he was singing about me. There are times I feel like a pretender...someone who has no idea what the Hell he's doing...making it up as I go along.

These are the albums that speak out to me, that have meant something to me. They're part of who I am, part of my soul.

5 comments:

Rene said...

Whoah, deja vu, man!

EFSchetley said...

It was here first, after all. ;)

Denise said...

*chuckle*

Shauna said...

Jimmy...yup,yup

Mr Zevon...of course!

great list

Jen said...

Mmmm, Zevon! I got grabbed by "Accidentally Like a Martyr", and never looked back... and still can't hear "Keep Me In Your Heart" without sobbing.

Nice influences, Eric... :)

Jen