Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Ledger

Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind...

I can remember, growing up, watching my mother whenever she went to pay the bills. She had this black ledger she always kept track of everything...and I mean everything...in. Bills. Important dates. Events. You name it, it was in that ledger.

Seems as long as she was running the house (and we're talking a long time here, folks) she'd been keeping track of the bills in those ledgers. There'd been many over the years...seems she could keep roughly a decade's worth of history in each one.

Over the past couple weeks, I've had to go through some of her old papers, old bills, looking for records. It's amazing, the things she's kept over the years. I've found bills from 1960...46 years old...stored in her room.

And some of those ledgers that I've looked through...some of the things she's recorded over the years...amazing. She's got an entry from 1962 for $2 from lunch she had at Eat 'N Park one day. To you and I, these things, might seem trivial. To her, it was noteworthy, not only because it was a lunch out, but because it was money spent from the coffers that needed to be recorded.

A few months ago, because of failing eyesight, she had me start recording the bills in the ledger. She'd still write notes for special events that might've happened...a baseball game we went to, Mother's Day gifts, things like that.

Rather ironic...and rather fittingly...I've started entering the bills in the last page of this ledger.

She started this current book in Septemer, 1996. I took a look through it tonight, remembering things I'd forgotten and some I only wish I could forget. A vacation here. A concert there. Two Towers that fell. Births, deaths and everything in between.

She'd recorded them all.

Now it's my turn.

It's my turn to keep track of things.
It's my turn to note the bills.
It's my turn to record history.

Yesterday, when I went shopping, I picked up the next ledger, the next book to record the monthly bills and important events. The next in a chain that stretches across five decades at the very least. For as much of a geek that I may be, for as much as I love my electronics and computers and all the gadgets I can get my hands on, the bills will be kept in those ledgers.

It's just the right thing to do.

6 comments:

Lorri said...

Yes, it is the right thing to do, to keep up a family tradition. History will be recorded in that ledger, in more ways than you might realize.

Hugs

Shauna said...

the baton passes


and the beat goes on...

yankeebelleshome said...

Hey Onie! Haus Frau from Deviant Art here! Long time no chat...sorry, it's because I was moving from one side of the pond to the other! I'm just finally getting setteled enough to log on occasionally, it is swim season after all!

What a wonderful thing you are doing for your mother! I think it's quite precious to continue the tradition of recording the bills and events just as your mother had in a black ledger.

I recently took a trip down memory lane myself. The movers saw fit to dump more than 20 years of family history into 6 card board boxes and I had to sit and sort. Took me two weeks. My husband and I save all sorts of stuff, every greeting card ever given us, tickets and programs, pictures, letters (the old fashioned hand written kind), you name it! It was facinating to see how our lives have unfolded and how much we are still the same after all these years!

True_Floridian Momma said...

hello came by via yankee belle via Bossy

First time here, must say, how incredible that your mom kept all of those important details....what a legacy for her to pass on and the memories that accompany it.

Anonymous said...

It's funny what you will find when you go digging through your old journals and pictures (and that I am anal enough to have kept things that are about 7 years old now-does that sound familiar?) . I came across one that your Mom had sent me, along with a note of warning about what I was getting myself into. She had a nice way about her, though I was never entirely convinced that she liked me. I am truly sorry to hear about her passing. She went through so much for so long. I'm glad that you were always there for her. It doesn't surprise me. You were always one of the most caring guys I knew. I actually read through all your blogging. It's nice to hear that some things don't change. You are both in my prayers...and are still remembered, after all those years.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I made an error here....and I'm not sure if I can apologize enough. It's late (or shall I say early)..please forgive me for not reading closely enough.