Monday, November 08, 2010

Dispatch from the 205

No, I'm not on the road. 205 is my office number here at NIU. I'm not saying which building I'm in, simply because I don't want the hoard of groupies storming down my door while I'm trying to work.

Okay, here's a concept that boggles my mind: I can go home for lunch. In my 23+ years of working, I have never been close enough to my home to do that. Yet, here, I'm barely a five minute drive from the house. If Julie's not working, she's even had lunch ready for me when I get there!

These are concepts that I've had trouble coming to terms with.

Today, however, I'm eating lunch in the office. Julie's got the car today: Her shift is from 9:30 to 2, while I'm 8 to 4:30, Monday through Friday. It just makes sense for her to have the car and use it, and I'll sit on my butt at my desk and eat the PB&J I made for myself this morning.

Work is pretty good. I seem to fit in here well. My boss is a few years younger than me, but is a (slightly) bigger geek than I am. He's cool. The other person is my age, but has worked in a "smaller pond", as it were. Going from where she was to here...it's an adjustment. I now get to take on the "mentor" role somewhat, offering advice, assurance and whatnot, much like Bob did for me years ago.

Did I mention I have my own office? Thing is huge. I'll have to take pictures of it sometime and show them off here just so you can see. I sit at an "L" shaped desk with three monitors. Right now, I've got my e-mail & Winamp on one, my work queue on the middle, and this on the third. I am in geek heaven, lemme tell ya.

The wedding plans are moving along nicely. Julie's ring is off at the jewelry store getting fitted for the wedding band. It's been about 10 days since they've had it, and she wants it back. NOW. I had my initial fitting for my tux last weekend, something I've been wanting to do for awhile now. It just seems so unfair: The girls have their dresses, Julie knows what she wants for her dress. I have one thing to do, get fitted for the tux. I was tired of waiting.

Did I mention my office has a window? One that faces south? I just made a bottle of sun tea on the ledge, and it tastes good.

Just queue'd up a little Beatles in Winamp. Here, There and Everywhere. Kinda fitting, if you ask me.

Okay, lunch is nearly over. Time for me to go back to work...and it's a wonderful feeling.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you! I'm also jealous, you have an OFFICE!!! :)

Congratulations, I wish you all the best!

Lewis

Eric S. said...

Thanks, Lewis! :)