Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stones

This post does not contain any Neil Diamond lyrics.

The extended weekend in Pittsburgh was great. We all had a good time (as evident by the video in my last post). We got back home late Sunday night, and it wasn't long before Julie and I went to bed.

Sometime around 2 in the morning, I noticed Julie wasn't in bed. I saw a light upstairs, and figured she had trouble sleeping. I didn't want to disturb her: I know when she's not feeling good to let her have some time to herself, although I'd rather be sitting with her if only to be supportive.

She came back to bed later and apologized for waking me up. I asked what was wrong, and she told me she had a bad stomachache, one that kept her up all night. She hadn't slept.

The pain was about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. Nothing helped, not even the Pepto, which she didn't like because of the cherry flavor. She prefers the traditional minty, chalky taste.

I stayed up with her, trying to comfort her (even though she didn't want me to touch her most of the time). I kept asking her if she wanted to go to the hospital (which she loathes), and she kept telling me no.

Finally, around 5, with neither of us getting any sleep and the pain not getting any better, I told her to get dressed. We're going to the emergency room. I knew it was bad because she finally agreed with me.

We got there and found out (after not too long a wait) the problem: Gall stones.

Seems she has a 1.7cm (that's BIG) stone near the neck of the gall bladder. It wasn't blocking the opening, nor had it caused an infection, but it was still bad. They gave her some medication to make the pain go away, two more days off of work (doctor's orders), a couple prescriptions and instructions to call a surgeon to see how to proceed.

I had to get back on the road, back to work, later that morning, so I did the necessary running around while Julie stayed home to rest (although that was limited: She and Hailey were watching the Bub). I got everything done that needed to be done (mostly) and got back to work.

This week, I'm close to Chicago and right near the Illinois/Wisconsin border. Close enough to home that I can make it there if needed, thankfully, but next week, I'm supposed to be in San Antonio.

Well, the San Antonio plan has been canceled, or at least, given to another technician. Julie and Jess went to the surgeon earlier today, and she was told she needed surgery. Next Monday, they're removing her gall bladder.

I told Julie I was going to be there, and she told me I didn't have to. Foolish woman. Like any job would keep me from being there when she needs me. Yeah, it'll mean I'm not gonna make any money next week, but I don't care. Being there for the woman I love is the most important thing to me.

Like I could be that far away from her when she needs me the most. Sorry, Charlie. Ain't gonna happen.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

oh man. Speedy recovery for Julie!