Thursday, March 26, 2009

ac·com·plish·ment

The Free Dictionary lists the definition of accomplishment as

  1. The act of accomplishing or the state of being accomplished; completion.
  2. Something completed successfully; an achievement.
  3. An acquired skill or expertise: a singer known for his accomplishment in vocal technique.
  4. Social poise and grace.

In my home, I have a small white board with four things I need to accomplish:

  1. Sell the house
  2. Get out of debt
  3. Find a job
  4. Marry Julie

Okay, so Julie wrote the last one on there. To me, that was "a given", one that was understood, but she wrote put it there, so there it stays.

Those are the big ones, the major ones that...as long as they're not done...I don't feel whole. There's a hole inside of me, eating at me, annoying me, and frustrates me to no end.

I wish I could write here that I've succeeded in completing at least one of those, but they're still elusive at the moment. Believe me, when I'm able to cross one of those suckers off my list, you'll hear it, no matter what part of the world you're in.

For now, all I can say is I've finished one minor...yet just as important...accomplishment.



Yeah, it's just a picture frame, hanging in my dining room, but this is an important one. Julie bought me this for Christmas last year, and it took awhile for me to decide what pictures I wanted to put in it.

After looking over my photos, I decided this frame is about family, so the photos in it would have to be of my family.

For the longest time, it was only 80% done. There were open slots. It was incomplete, so it wasn't hung on the wall. I wanted to put it up, but I didn't want the empty spaces showing.

The family wasn't complete...until now.

With the birth of Curtis, and the photos taken of him, I was able to complete the frame. I hung it on the wall earlier today, and felt that I've finally been able to accomplish something.

In the year I've been out of work, those feelings have been few and far between.

It's up now, and it looks pretty good, if you ask me. Sorry the photo here doesn't give you too many details, but if you'd like to see it all...you'll have to stop by for a visit.

Call ahead first. Who knows? I might be out doing the other things on my list...

3 comments:

Rene said...

I know how that mountain of things to accomplish can seem to be impossible to cross, but patience and diligence are key. Just as long as you keep doing all you can to accomplish the list you will succeed.
Glad you got the picture frame done. And who knows, one of these days I/we will stop by. Without calling first of course, because we want to catch you off guard with just the pillow ...
... wait, did I just really type that? Yikes! ;-)

Denise said...

LOL@Rene's comment about the pillow - haven't heard a pillow joke in a LONG while!

He's right,too...patience & diligence. Or gradual tenacity (prosey pitbull style)...endurance...all those good words. You'll get there. *nod*

Sterl said...

The pillow...*seizure* You'll get there Eric, all good things in time. :)